Angiefaye
Newly Registered

Help a Newbie with trying to grow Lychee nut trees

Hello,
My name is Angie. I'm trying to raise my Lychee babies from seeds. I did read up on what to do as far as planting them. Except before planting my seeds, I kept them in a moist paper towel until I could see them start to sprout. I planted them afterwards. I only read about after soaking in water for 3 days you plant them. Well me being me, I wanted to make sure they did start to grow. Reading it could take up to 6 weeks before you see them start sprouting out the soil. Well that's where I'm stuck. Since I started mine by keeping the seeds in moist paper towels, because I wanted to make sure and see for myself they started growing. Now it's through my timing off. It hasn't even been a month since I planted my first 5 seedlings. My husband looks at me and says to me you're worried aren't you? I said yes cause they're my babies. I have 24 planted now, except they weren't all planted at the same time. That would have made it too easy for me. My question is with me planting them after knowing for sure they started to sprout, about how long should it be before I can see even a little sprout breaking the top of the soil. Any information on growing my babies would be greatly and deeply appreciated. I have a total of 24 planted, with the last 4 planted today. I even made a little greenhouse for them so they could stay warm and moist. Any other ideas on how to grow them. I do know when an if they do start growing, when it's time I replant them in a 3 gallon pot, a year later a 7 gallon pot then a 15 gallon pot, after a year I have to replant them in 25 gallon pots. After 5 years of being in the 25 gallon pots I read that's when they are ready to be planted into the ground. More information on how and what to do with my babies would be a great help. Thank you for your time Angie

imafan26
Mod

What kind of lychee do you have? Kaimana is a cultivar that grow from sea level to higher elevations. Except for Kaimana, most lychee here grow best in the higher elevations since it needs a minimum winter chill to fruit. Basically Mango grows best in hot dry areas and lychee in cooler ones. Lychee does not like winter rain so it does better here in El Nino years where winters are relatively dry, but if it is not cold enough in January it may still not fruit every year. A good mango year is usually not a good lychee year but on occasion it is ok for both.

This was a good year for lychee and I got some in my frig now.

if your seed is from a variety that grows in Florida, you still need a similar microclimate.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/f_n-2.pdf
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg051

Return to “All Other Fruit”