crpaul720
Newly Registered

Pineapple Plant Just Won't Fruit

Hello!

I've done tons of research online about this but found nothing of use. I found this forum and thought I'd give it a try! :)

I started this pineapple from a top exactly 3 1/2 years ago. It keeps growing and growing new leaves but I can't get it to fruit. :?

I've tried both the apple in a bag and calcium carbide methods with no success. It is outside May - Late September and inside for the colder months (depending on the weather).

Because it is still actively growing, I don't think there's anything wrong with it to so to speak but I'd kind of enjoy seeing something in the center there. It has good soil, the roots are fine.....its been living the good life but now its just getting really, really large.

Thanks!

Chelsea
Attachments
Pineapple71020182.jpg
Pineapple7102018 (2).jpg

applestar
Mod

Do you provide supplemental light during the colder months inside? If you bring yours in at late-September, it sounds like you might live in an area that is a little bit colder than I do — kaybe zone 6a or zone 5? The lengthy stay indoors in less than ideal conditions is what delays maturity I’m pretty sure.

But indoor temperatures that are comfortable for us are pretty much right where they like it. So all you need is to push the light intensity to near equivalent to being outside. I really think that's what made the difference when mine fruited after 3 years.

Ref :arrow: Subject: Is this pineapple going to be big enough to bloom next year? ...I jumped in at page 5 of this thread as linked, but you should read it from the beginning really. Lots of fantastic information were posted by knowledgeable members.

crpaul720
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking back to last year and I believe I left it outside until October. Zone 8a and we experience all 4 seasons in a day here sometimes so its hard to really leave it out since it may be 80* during the day and 54* at night. I have bright floor to ceiling windows so its been next to that. I'll have to double check my spots when I bring it in light wise.

imafan26
Mod

Pineapples usually fruit around 18-30 mos old. Cold weather delays maturity( pineapple likes to be between 65-95 degrees. It can tolerate only brief periods of cold) and grows best from sea level to about 2000 ft. High elevations will make the pineapple more acidic and sour. It is usually planted in full sun in the tropics so I don't know what the minimum light requirements are.

Pineapple needs a well drained but organically rich soil. Pineapple like nitrogen and magnesium to grow and fruit. Phosphorus and potassium are needed but are not as important. Puerto Rico did a fertilizer study and 13-3-12 fertilizer applied every three months got the best results. Pineapple fertilizer can be absorbed in the cups of the plant.

When the plants are big enough and at least 12 months old, flowering can be induced with smoke. Water the cup of the pineapple and add calcium carbide pieces. The calcium carbide reacts with the water and produces smoke. About 6 weeks later, flowering should be initiated. It can be hard to tell when a pineapple is ripe. It will yellow from the bottom up. It is usually easier to break them off the plant when they are ripe. Flower production would be better if the plant will be in full sunlight so I don't know how well it will grow indoors with lower light. I suspect it won't get very big.

Return to “All Other Fruit”