sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Will peach tree suckers produce peaches?

My peach tree got chewed up by mice or rats this winter and thus died. It is sending up suckers from the root stock. If I let one sucker grow into a new tree, will it produce peaches or will it be an infertile tree?

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Root stock on most fruit trees will not be viable and most of the time will not be the variety you started with. The resulting tree from a sucker will usually be weaker and prone to disease. I have let a few grow and not had much luck. The resulting fruit was inedible and small.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I knew it wouldn't be the same variety, but inedible is what I was worried about :( bummer!!!!!! Thank you.

applestar
Mod

What you *could* do if you have access to another good peach tree (or are willing to buy scions) is try grafting onto those root stock suckers.... that would be later though,

I would imagine it’s worth a try since the tree didn’t die of disease ....

I believe typical rootstock used for peaches might also be compatible with other stone fruits like apricots, plums, and cherries?

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks for asking this, sheeshshee. I have a similar query about a plum tree but right now I'm in the midst of prep for a big family event. Will air my question next week; Just posting here now so that I'll get notification of new comments. If there's another way way to signal that I'm 'watching' a thread, I haven't found it.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Applestar, now that's an idea I can try! I'll let this one shoot grow and then I'll let it harden and try and graft onto it.

JONA
Greener Thumb

St Julian A is a common rootstock that will take all the stone fruits. Some though are a little more specific in general...but it’s always worth a try!

Return to “All Other Fruit”