sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Fertilizing Question

2 falls ago, I planted several apple, plum, pear, and cherry trees. Some of the apple trees have new growth, but not all. The pear trees don't seem to be growing either as also the plums. The cherry trees though are growing like weeds. Does anyone know why this is? Why only the cherry and some of the apple trees? They are all in the same plot.

So, thus said, I am in Southern Maine on the zone 4/5 line. Being mid June, is it too late to fertilize? I wanted to put down manure this spring, but I hurt my hand and hubby hurt his shoulder, and I just didn't get around to it until now. My hand is still not 100%, but I can do a little more things now. A friend of mine told me to put manure in the fall because of bacteria in the manure. She mentioned getting some organic fertilizer for this year, but when I looked online it seemed as though after May it is too late to apply it. What is your opinion?

If these were your trees, what would you do?
Thanks so much!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe JONA, the orchardist will come by.

I just wanted to say hi and welcome back!! :) Haven't seen you here for a year or so..

JONA
Greener Thumb

First Sheila.....do you know what are the rootstocks your trees are on?
Can you put a picture on here of the trees that you have a problem with.
You can fertilise fruit trees at any time of the year....but it’s best to avoid the period between blossom and June drop as a nitrogen surge in the tree at that point can induce a higher drop than you may want.
If you want to give your trees a quick burst of nitrogen then a couple of sprays of Urea will get the nutrient into them instantly.
Autumn application of well rotted manure is good for tree and soil condition. Avoid getting the manure too close to the trees trunk.
Careful pruning can play a large part in getting good growth on fruit trees......that’s why pictures may help here.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

Thank you for the welcome back! :) I've been busy with this new property and don't get on here often enough. My vegetable garden at this new place is 30' x 80', so I am quite busy with that as well!

The fruit drop has already occurred I believe. I've been watching and have noticed the little babies that were on there are no longer there.

I can post some photos. Most of them are pruned correctly, but some need some more help in that area. I will try and get some photos this afternoon.

Do you recommend a specific organic fertilizer? And can one put too much manure in the fall?
Thank you so much!

Return to “All Other Fruit”