Husk24

Bugs on my plum tree

Hi guys

My 3 year old tree seem to have bugs on it

Pix attached, any suggestions to how to get rid?

Thanks
Attachments
CD73D539-A366-4E05-A201-F09A85C25770.jpeg

applestar
Mod

Aphids. My plum trees are covered with ladybug larvae each year, then they pupate all over including on individual blades of the grass under the tree, and if I don’t move it in time, the hammock stand. Have you noticed ladybugs or clusters of yellow eggs(ladybug eggs) Garden Patrol might be already at work.

Backyard birds like Finches, Wrens, and Chickadees also swarm the trees and eat the aphids... and possibly ladybugs as well. This is the only time that Warblers also visit my garden.

Husk24

Would bug spray also work?

applestar
Mod

If ladybugs and other predators are present and you use “bug spray” you will kill them, too. You have open blossoms — “bug spray” used incorrectly/indiscriminately will kill the honey bees and other bees/pollinators, then you won’t get fruits.

If you want to kill bugs, start by checking to see if ants are trooping up and down the tree. Deal with them first because they are using your tree to pasture the aphids and they will defend the aphids from predators.

Look up the kind of “bug spray” you intended to use and find out everything you need to know about it before using it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”