wisgardener13

Sad new cherry tree

I have recently planted a Montmorency cherry tree from a nursery. It was potted, about 7 ft tall, and had around 3 dozen leaves already. Since I have planted it, about 3-4 weeks now, there only remains about 12 healthy looking leaves. The rest have yellowed and dried up. I have read about transplant shock and this seems a lot like that but I want to know if I should be concerned. Is it normal to have a smaller number of leaves in the first year? Most of the dead leaves died quickly after planting and the good ones have remained green. I also did a 'scratch' test and it appears healthy otherwise. Any further guidance or expectation for this first year would be appreciated.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi,
As the leaves that left are holding on ok I suspect,as you did, that it’s just a replant shock.
Over the next few weeks you should see a steady improvement .
Remember to not let the soil dry out around your tree....a good watering reagularly until it’s well bedded in. Also stake the tree well to avoid rocking for a year or so.

wisgardener13

Thanks for the replies. The leaves are indeed holding on. When you say I should see improvement what should I be expecting? More leaves? New branch growth? Any sort of timeline I should be looking at? I am new to fruit trees and I have had trouble finding information.

Regarding watering, any recommendations? I have read to water with a 5 gallon bucket once a week if no rain. Some say soak with a slow drip hose. Naturally I don't want to overwater the tree either.

Another thought, should I be removing the dead/wilted leaves are just leave them in the tree?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Water weekly as you are now if dry weather continues.
Don’t pull the leaves off. Once they’ve dessicated they will drop.
You should soon see new leaf coming and shoots should start to grow.
Has your tree got plenty of side shoots already?
Can you put a picture on here for us?

wisgardener13

Here are some photos to give you an idea of the tree. Hopefully photos are good enough resolution.
Attachments
Whole tree
Whole tree
Leaves over hand
Leaves over hand
Some healthy leaves
Some healthy leaves
IMG_1392.JPG
IMG_1391.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

I believe this is a case of fingers crossed I’m afraid.
I can’t say I like the look of those trees at all. I would certainly have liked to see more growth occurring by now.
Guess it’s just patience ....

wisgardener13

Unfortunately the last of the leaves are essentially dead now. I did another scratch test and it is still bright green. Is there still any hope or is the tree basically gone now?

JONA
Greener Thumb

I would suspect it’s gone ....sadly. It may well have been Bacterial Canker which can kill any of the prunus species so quickly.

Return to “All Other Fruit”