wisconsindead

Strawberry Plant - Yellow Leaves Green Veins - Solution?

Hey guys,

My strawberry plants have been doing well until recently. I just noticed they have yellowing leaves with green veins. Apparently this indicates that my plants are likely deficient in zinc, iron or manganese.

On April 1, 2018 I added roughly 3 quarts of Steve Soloman's complete organic fertilizer...

o 4 parts cottonseed meal
o 1 part kelp meal
o 1 part rock phosphate
o 1/4 part lime
o 1/4 part gypsum
(I didn't have any dolomite lime)

That was added to a 3' x 31' bed (93 sq ft). He suggests adding 4-6 quarts per 100 sq ft. I didn't do any fertilizing last year.

On April 21, 2018 I reordered the bed to get the dimensions right and even out the spacing of the plants, remove old/dead plants.

On April 28, 2018 I added some compost to this.

Can anyone tell me anything else based on this information? Any good quick fixes for this issue?
1.JPG
2.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Try a spray of mag.sulphate...Epsom salts. It replaces magnesium very quickly and is very cheap.

chengiz
Newly Registered

its iron deficiency which is most often disorder in soil culture of strawberry.

Upper leaves develop an interveinal chlorosis (yellowing between the veins). With advancing symptoms, the interveinal chlorotic coloration becomes more intense and expands to cover most of the leaf. Severe deficiencies result in bleached (white) leaves and over time necrotic dead spots can occur.

use iron chelate like Fe_EDDHA or Fe-EDTA, you can use it as drain feed or foliar application.
https://diagnosis.ces.ncsu.edu/strawber ... deficiency
you will find more here: https://diagnosis.ces.ncsu.edu/strawberry
good luck.

wisconsindead

Thanks for the input. I sent some plant tissues in for analysis along with a soil sample. Should have the results this week.

Additionally I made a compost tea that was rich with kelp meal. Did a foliar feeding and watered with it. Hopefully this help gets some much needed iron into the plants.

Return to “All Other Fruit”