Husk24

Unsure of watering my peach (Saturn) tree - advice wanted

Hi All

I have recently brought a patio dwarf saturn peach tree, I have repotted it in a 50L pot, size is 45cm wide and 35cm height. I am keeping it indoors in my conservatory. Please see pic.

What I am concerned or unsure is how much watering will it need, based on the pot size, how much should I water it when I do? I watered it yesterday with about 2-3 litres of water and it drained through and I have still got water down the saucer . Have I over watered it? ...water left in saucer Ok?

Thanks
Attachments
922B1620-37F2-40AC-9DF7-D76D3115201A.jpeg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Like all tree fruits Husk it’s important to keep the roots wellwatered in the growing season.
The danger in pot grown plants is to overdo the job and cause waterlogging. This drives the air out of the soil so that the roots can rot rather than grow.
I would water with a heavy watering then allow the pot to drain well, then leave until the top soil starts to dry out before the next watering.
Try not to go from very wet to very dry cycles. Just keep the soil damp if you can.
This is especially critical if you feed with liquid feed when it’s important that the soil is already evenly damp when you apply the feed.

Husk24

Will it be OK for it to be sitting in a bit of water on the bottom in the saucer?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Just for an hour or so.....if it has not been absorbed by then..then the soil is at full capacity.

Husk24

Well its been sitting in water for few days, so should I drain the saucer? I have watered it again today as the soil seemed dry.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes empty it Husk. Just water from the top and let the soil self drain.

Husk24

I have watered it from top, it drains into the saucer. I'm just concerned I don’t clog the roots sitting in water. So as a rule the tree should not sit in water in saucer?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes....don't let it sit in water Husk.

Husk24

Ok thanks

Return to “All Other Fruit”