Husk24

How often to spray seaweed on fruit trees?

Hi guys

I wanted to ask, can I start using seaweed spray on my fruit trees? how often and when should I refrain from using it.

Thanks

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Husk,
We found a spray of seaweed around the time when the fruit bud is at the early green cluster stage helps the rosette of leaf that surrounds the cluster. These are the leaves that will be feeding the blossom as it develops. It gets all the micro nutrients into the leaf as well as a good burst of nitrogen just when it’s needed most.
After that, any time dureing the growing season when you feel the tree could be coming under stress......drought...cold...heavy crop etc.
Also near to harvest it can make sure that the fruit itself has the best chance of going into store with all its nutrients in place.

Like all sprays...refrain from spraying once the bloom has started to open until 80% petal fall. Any sprays....even plain water..can effect pollination by damaging the viability of the pollen during this period.

Husk24

Thanks Jonah

You also mentioned in another thread to avoid when fruit is setting? I'm I correct?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes Husk....that period from pink bud to petal fall. Once the petals have fallen the fruit will be either set....or not!
One thing to avoid though is high nitrogen sprays like Urea, or high N fertilisers from blossom until the fruit is past the June drop period as high N can induce a strong growth burst and cause a larger drop than is really wanted.
Pollen in the flower has a relatively short life and anything that can affect its viability should be avoided.
There are circumstances in commercial orchards where spraying may be done in this period. These are where the grower is worried about oversetting and is deliberately trying to lessen pollination.
Not something recommended for the garden grower where if your trees carrying too much fruit you can soon remove excess.

DarrenP

On the occasions you can't spray the fruit trees, why not mix up some seaweed solution in a watering can, and water it in around the trees?
I give the fruit trees and the veggie beds regular watering with a mix of seaweed solution and fish emulsion.

Husk24

@ DarrenP, thanks for your comments, but wouldn’t that have the same effect by watering instead? or is spraying more intense?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Spraying the seaweed mix is a far quicker way of getting the nutrients into the leaves.
In fact with some materials...calcium...for instance, it’s almost the only way of ensuring a deficiancy is made up quickly.

DarrenP

@Husk24, it's less direct to water it in, and I've never heard of seaweed solution being an issue with fruit or vegetables.

Return to “All Other Fruit”