alexa1996
Newly Registered

FIG LEAF DISEASE?

Hi all -
I was wondering if I can get some advice please...
I have multiple fig trees. All in the same type of soil, one right next the one in the enclosed pictures. This is the only one that looks ”diseased”? I am wondering what’s happening to the leaves? If you look closely at the last picture, you will see these tiny-little white dots?
Please advise...
Also, does anyone know what kind of fig tree this is?
Sorry, some how the pics downloaded side ways.... :shock:
(Click on pics, they become right side up...)
Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_2627.jpg
IMG_2628.jpg
IMG_2629.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Alexa,
There are a few problems of figs that show in their leaves. The most common being fig rust.
Most can be controlled a great deal by clearing all debris from around the tree as the leaves fall, so removing the source of infection.
It could be a soil defficiancy problem...but as you say....with others planted in the same area , this is not so likely.

imafan26
Mod

While it certainly can be a fungal disease. It is unusual so see this kind of pattern. Most fig rust spots are all over and not just around the edges. I also see bumps on the leaves that are not commonly seen as being caused by fungus but may be caused by mites. Mites can also cause russeting depending on the mite. Some mites like spider mites are barely visible but other mites may need to be magnified to see them. A jewelers 40x hand lens is invaluable for this kind of sleuthing. Are the bump bugs or galls. If they are galls in the leaf, it would point to mite damage. It is possible to have multiple issues such as fungi and a pest at the same time since misery loves company. Removing the infested leaves or cutting the plant back after feeding it is sometimes is the path of least resistance. Make sure all the leaves are bagged and sealed and tossed out. Wash hands and tools before touching anything else just in case they hitch a ride on you to the other plants.

Return to “All Other Fruit”