iskhan
Cool Member

How to grow Date Plum Persimmon from seeds?

Hi Experts

How to grow Date Plum Persimmon (Diospyros lotus) from seeds?
I try several time but seeds not germinate what I am doing wrong?
Kindly guide me.
Thanks
I.S. Khan

applestar
Mod

I had to look this up so not my personal experience. But Plants for a Future is a good reference site imho.

Diospyros lotus Date Plum PFAF Plant Database
https://www.pfaf.org/user/plant.aspx?lat ... yros+lotus
Propagation
Seed - best sown in a cold frame as soon as it is ripe[113, 200]. Stored seed requires a period of cold-stratification and should be sown as early in the year as possible[78]. It usually germinates in 1 - 6 months at 15°c[175]. Pot up the young seedlings as soon as they are large enough to handle into fairly deep pots and plant them out into their permanent positions in early summer. Give them some protection from winter cold for their first year or two outdoors. Cuttings of half-ripe wood, July/August in a frame[200]. Layering in spring[200].
Earlier on the page, it describes the plant as not frost tender. So the seeds probably really needs the cold stratification.

Also, if the seeds are from dried fruit, it may have something to do with the drying process which could have killed the seeds. So you may need to to be sure you have viable seeds. But this may just be a matter of trying with many seeds. I've occasionally had success germinating dried date palm fruit seeds. Getting the seedlings to grow is not always easy though....

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Yep, cold stratification is needed. If you get enough good cold weather in the winter, my preferred method for our local species is to plant them in a pot with good soil, wire a piece of plastic with slits cut in it over the top, and leave it in a spot that doesn't get sun for the winter. The slits let in some water from rain or snow, but the plastic deters rodents pretty well. Keeping it out of the sun prevents too many freeze/thaw cycles (which can coax seeds into sprouting and then kill them) from happening.

iskhan
Cool Member

Thanks for reply both of you.
Actually I am living in a coastal area and here weather is moderate so what you suggest.

applestar
Mod

Refrigerator would be best. Meat bin/compartment is good for seeds that wants a bit of frost, vegetable bin/compartment for ones that can't take frost. Period depends on species -- as short as 2-3 weeks for herbaceous plants like strawberries but 4-6 weeks for some trees. I don't know what it would be for this one....

You want to either actually sow the seeds in smallish, deep container with drainage holes (something you would actually grow the seeds in -- maybe recycled cut up soda/water bottles) in a loose somewhat sandy (like 1/3 sand) soil, premoistened.... or -- to save space -- put enough of the mixture to completely cover in a ziplock bag or plastic container with lid -- like yogurt or something. Don't just put bare seeds in the fridge. It needs to think it is sleeping where it could grow. If you cold strategy in smaller container, you will need to sow in proper containers after your take them out -- either they will already be starting to germinate/sprout (sow as soon as you see any signs or growth) or they will need another period of warmer conditions before germinating.

Return to “All Other Fruit”