seattle grower
Newly Registered

What's wrong with my blackcurrants?

Hi All,

I've planted these two blackcurrant canes this April and after they leafed out they started yellowing and losing leaves. They did flower and produce a few berries this year, which surprised me but I'm not sure what's wrong with them.

They are growing here in Seattle area with full sun exposure (it has been a hot and very sunny year here) and are watered regularly.

They are planted in a mixture of new compost and native clay soil in a slightly raised bed.

I don't see any obvious signs of fungus or insects on them.

Note, in the second photo, there are some healthy raspberry cane/leaves growing behind the plant that escaped from a nearby bed, I left them in this photo to show what I'd expect these leaves to look similar too.
blackcurrant 1
blackcurrant 1
blackcurrant 2
blackcurrant 2
Any suggestions would be appreciated,

-Cheers!

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi,
Yellowing of current bushes can be from several causes.
If there are no insects.

The most common is a watering problem. Either too much or too little, especially in dry conditions.
There is the possibility to have nutrient or element deficiencies ...but so soon after planting I would doubt this is the cause in your case.
Suggestions....maintain good watering...without water logging.
A spray of liquid feed...like soluable seaweed...plus some Epsom Salts to add magnesium to the leaf.
There are diseases and viruses that can hit currents..but fingers crossed that they are not responsible on this case.

Return to “All Other Fruit”