AliciaUoP
Newly Registered

What happened to my pineapple!?

Not entirely sure what happened; either disease, or over-watering from storms, or a combination of both. The plant is not orange, droopy, and mushy looking. So far, no place on the Internet that can tell me what's wrong with this picture. I would like to know if I can still replant it in this state because the crown is still vibrant.
Attachments
The fruit is roughly the size of a baseball.
The fruit is roughly the size of a baseball.

applestar
Mod

Explain what you think is wrong, please. Is it the size of the fruit?

I have my very first pineapple growing, and mine is not a whole lot bigger -- about the size of my small hand. I didn't expect it to get very big since I'm not using a very big pot and I live where the pineapple has to be brought indoors 7 months of the year. Mine IS droopy right now, BTW. Not sure why.

Subject: Is this pineapple going to be big enough to bloom next year?
applestar wrote:Looks like this now. How do I know when it's ready to harvest? ...when SHOULD I harvest before it's too late?

I've been keeping an eye out for side shoots in case that would be one of the indicators....

imafan26
Mod

The picture is not very clear. If you grew it from the top then it usually does not get that big of a fruit. I cannot tell if it is ripe. Pineapple should be firm even when it is ripe. It should ripen from the bottom up. when it is ready th stalk usually starts to fall to one side. Your leaves are small so don't expect a large fruit.

Return to “All Other Fruit”