theitguyfromny
Newly Registered

Brand New Grapevines Wilting

A little over a week ago, I bought a 4-pack of 2 year old grapevines from a local store (doesn't matter where, I don't think). As I have to do some measuring in the yard where they will go (I'll be building a Pergula that they will wind up to) I've not yet planted them.

They came in separate bags and were bound in sturdy, brown papertowel and what seems to be sawdust...all wet down, of course.

I'm still not quite ready to plant them (I need to note that I bought them from the store when I did in fear that others would buy them all out) and the leaves are now wilting (not changing colors, just folding in around their edges).

For one night (two night ago) I looked in the bags to see if they were still moist and they seemed to be sufficiently, but, because their leaves were wilting, I added a small amount of water to each bag and them put the bags in a bucket of water (note that the bags were platic and sealed at the bottom so the bucket of water was only to provide a "moist enviornment" for them.

In the end, this morning, I "planted" them in a temporary moveable container (a large Rubbermaid tote) thinking they might just need soil. Note here that the soil I used is the same soil they will be going in and this soil should be more than sufficient "nutritionally" as I've just taken out two 20yrs old + grapevines from this exact location that these new baby 8 grapvines will replace, appropriately spaced, of course.

Planting them, I spread out the roots and when I was done I watered real good.

Not that I necessarily expected immediate results, but this evening when I checked the plants out, they are still wilting. (By the way, they got full outdoor sull all day long today and before today they were indoors in a South-facing window: I'm in NY: Zone 5)

Did I do the right thing planting them and if anyone has any ideas what MORE I can do, that would be great. They were not cheap and I obviously want them to survive.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I think that they started to wilt from lack of oxygen in the bags, you have them out now which is exactly what I would have recommended. Try adding some liquid seaweed fertilzer (diluted as per the instructions on the bottle) to give them a boost in Nitrates/Ammonia, this fertilzer (as most do) also contains Potassium that will help to harden off the plants.

It is organic so, you can't burn the plants and it doesn't disturb the soil flora and fauna that will also help to strengthen the plant.

Good luck!

As always, if anyone else has something that works or any ideas please share them!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

theitguyfromny,

I tend to agree with Opa that they may have kept too wet.
I looked in the bags to see if they were still moist and they seemed to be sufficiently, but, because their leaves were wilting, I added a small amount of water to each bag and them put the bags in a bucket of water
If the bags were truly water/air tight then the addition of even a little water may have been too much. Additionally/optionally, if the bags had any small vent or drain holes then putting them in water may have made matters worse.
I "planted" them in a temporary moveable container (a large Rubbermaid tote) thinking they might just need soil. Note here that the soil I used is the same soil they will be going in and this soil should be more than sufficient "nutritionally" as I've just taken out two 20yrs old + grapevines from this exact location that these new baby 8 grapvines will replace, appropriately spaced, of course. Planting them, I spread out the roots and when I was done I watered real good.
Does the tote have any drainage holes? If not I would suggest that the roots are staying too wet and are possibly rotting.
It may not be obvious but when a plant has damaged roots due to over-watering they cannot take up enough water. So despite being too wet the plant shows evidence of being without water, wilting leaves. This is the same thing we see when plants in pots are watered too frequently.

I suggest you get them in the ground ASAP. If you still have work to do can you not measure where you want the vines to go and work around them? For four vines you are only going to set one post at either end I assume.

Norm

theitguyfromny
Newly Registered

I added several holes in my container and for many days now they have appeared to stabilize...

However, now there was a frost last night and all the new growth is keeled over and brown/dead.

Should I consider these guys dead and throw them in the compost pile or is there still hope?

If there's hope, should I cut the new growth back, given that it appears dead anyway?

Jess
Greener Thumb

I was going to ask if the wilting might be a sign of frost damage but having seen your last post that is immaterial now.
I would be hopeful and expect some new growth. I believe that when you bought them they had soft growth as it is too early for a grape to be showing much growth yet. It will all depend on how mature they are as to whether they will survive but wait a couple of weeks before adding them to the compost. And yes cut the dead off.

Return to “All Other Fruit”