jmcginnis

Newbie Help with Peach Tree

Hi all!

I just moved into a new home a year ago and this tree was in the back corner. I didn't know what it was but now it is bearing peaches. The problem is It looks sick and I am surprised it has fruit this year. I have uploaded pics. Can anyone help me salvage this tree and help it prosper? I'm new to fruit trees but generally have a really green thumb.

Jo
Attachments
File_004.jpeg
File_003.jpeg
File_002.jpeg
File_001.jpeg
File_000.jpeg

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Prune off the dead branches. Pull the mulch away from the trunk. Maybe give it some fertilizer but not right now, wait until fall when the weather cools and the tree is starting to go dormant for the winter. Low nitrogen for fall feeding then a balanced fertilizer next spring and early summer.

jmcginnis

Thank you!!!

JONA
Greener Thumb

I would suggest that in the Winter you do a little cutting back on the new growth to try to stiffen up your tree a little. Peaches crop on new one year old wood as well as spurs so trimming does not hurt the cropping levels...in fact it can stimulate better bud formation.

jmcginnis

File_000.jpeg
Thanks John! This is another tree I need help with. I believe it is a pear tree and it has been hacked up. Any chance I can save it?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Oh dear ...I see what you mean!
First thing....remove those sucker shoots coming up from below the root graft union.
They are taking valuable strength from the rest of the tree and will be no good to you in the future.
Next with a sharp pair of secateurs cut that piece of die back on the top of the main trunk. Back to that shoot. If necessary trim the edges with a sharp knife to make the cut clean.
You can paint it if you have any fungicidal paint.
The rest of the tree I would then leave until the winter. Come back then and we can see how it looks at that point.

jmcginnis

You rock! Thank you! I have no clue what I am doing but generally, have a green thumb so I hope I can save these. Does this look better?
File_002.jpeg

jmcginnis

Sorry they are coming in sideways for some reason.

Don't sorry...they revert upright once touched.
That's much better...now it can be trimmed lightly in the winter to try to get it growing well.

jmcginnis

Update! Let me know how I am doing. I trimmed as you suggested and sprayed copper for leaf curl. As you can see there are still holes in some of the leaves. The peach tree didn't have any fruit this year, wondering if it was because of the trimming? The pear is doing better! What should I do moving forward? The "What I think is a pear" is very small as you can see by the fence height around the yard.

Joanne
Attachments
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0226.jpg
IMG_0225.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Both looking so much better now Joanne.
Leave them alone now and put a photo on here once the leaves are all off them.
Then we may be able to make any pruning suggestions if needed.
Well done!

jmcginnis

Thank you!!! Will post in the fall. :-)

jmcginnis

OK I think they are as grown as they are going to get this season. How do I trim these? Also do I wait until after a frost or before? Etc. What do I spray on them for the fall? I have also included my Blueberry bushes. How and when do I cut these back? Appreciate all of your help.
Attachments
Peach Tree
Peach Tree

jmcginnis

Here is the other fruit tree
Attachments
All Blueberries
All Blueberries
Blueberry
Blueberry
Don't know what this is tree
Don't know what this is tree

JONA
Greener Thumb

The peach looks ok now with good growth it should do fine.
On the pear I would cut that leader back a third in the winter to try to encourage a couple of breaks at a good height for more side shoots.

jmcginnis

Thank you!!!

jmcginnis

Pear.JPG
peac.JPG
I'm back! :-) Wanted to show you what is happening now as they are budding out. I sprayed for bugs. How often should I spray?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Only spray if a pest shows up.
No need to do a regular spray programme on a garden tree unless apple or pear scab is a major problem.
All looking fine!

jmcginnis

Thank you John! I still have severe leaf curl on the peach tree this year. The other is fine. The peach tree has over 16 peaches starting out on it. The pear only one this year. Should I thin out the peaches or just let it fruit? Also I will need to prop the branche somehow. They are not strong enough for all the fruit on the limbs!

JONA
Greener Thumb

I’ve found it best to thin the fruit out to singles ....you finish up with much larger fruit and less stress on the tree.
If you can prop the branches I would.
Pears are much slower to come into fruit so don’t worry about that.
It used to be said that you planted a pear tree for your grandchildren....thank goodness not so long now!
It still can take four or five years to get a pear into good cropping.

ACW

John
would the thinning apply to the pears ,my been in the ground since autumn 2017 trio of fruit trees are all just forming fruits ,thats a concorde pear a katy apple and a plum I cant remember which (bradleys something )
apple and pear all good dozen fruitlets per branch tip ,the plum has what appear to be fruits ,some of which seem wrinkled!
Plum had a green aphid problem ,the lady birds and their lavae seem to be on top of that !

JONA
Greener Thumb

It always pays to make sure your trees are not too heavily loaded.
But with both apples and pears you need to make sure that they have finished with their natural drop.
In the UK this is called the June drop...but it is more late June early July drop in practice.
Katy is an apple that usually sets very well ..so early July thin the clusters down to a maximum of two fruits per cluster.
The pears you need to wait until they have turned over and the fruit hangs downwards....called goose necking....at that stage you can be sure they have set well.
Thin these to again a max of two per cluster.
The plum leave for a week or so to see how much stays on.
Then space them out to a few inches between each plum
This will ensure large fruit and a tree that’s not overcropped.

ACW

JONA wrote:It always pays to make sure your trees are not too heavily loaded.
But with both apples and pears you need to make sure that they have finished with their natural drop.
In the UK this is called the June drop...but it is more late June early July drop in practice.
Katy is an apple that usually sets very well ..so early July thin the clusters down to a maximum of two fruits per cluster.
The pears you need to wait until they have turned over and the fruit hangs downwards....called goose necking....at that stage you can be sure they have set well.
Thin these to again a max of two per cluster.
The plum leave for a week or so to see how much stays on.
Then space them out to a few inches between each plum
This will ensure large fruit and a tree that’s not overcropped.
Thanks for that ,big help !

jmcginnis

OK so when do I thin and how do I do it? For example I have 10 peaches growing on a limb. Small limb at that. Do I wait until they are larger? They are about the size of a small marble right now.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I wait until the fruit is around small plum size before thinning.
If you let them get too large I’ve found it can be difficult to remove fruit from twin settings without causing damage.
I’ve found that a gentle twist will usually remove unwanted fruit from tight doubles .
More often than not one of the fruits will be larger than its twin...so remove the smaller.
On young trees it can be necessary to support the odd branch if they are carrying a heavy load.

jmcginnis

IMG-0316.JPG
Thank you! Here is a pic of all of my little peaches on only 2 of the branches.Should I leave only 2 or three on each branch?

JONA
Greener Thumb

I would leave them for the moment and see if any further natural drop happens. You’ll be surprised how much a tree can manage!

jmcginnis

IMG-0376.JPG
Thank you! OK so here is a picture of what is wrong with my leaves. :-( I thought it was leaf curl but maybe not? I treated with copper fungicide twice.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Leaf curl as you say jmcginnis.
If you can remove the worst affected and burn them it will help control spore spread. Clear all dropped leaves . Next spring if you can rig up some form of rain cover for the period from bud break to petal fall you will get much better control of the problem.

Return to “All Other Fruit”