Albert_136

Can one ripen very green peaches?

A limb has fallen from and old peach tree. No idea as to variety. An old cling fruit, not very sweet. It has a few dozen full sized fruit. Still quite green, hardly any color change.

At another site one says the fruit may still be ripened and the next response, naturally, was not a chance.

Your thoughts?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Best I can suggest is to put them in a plastic bag along with a couple of bananas.
The ethylene gas given off by the bananas will hasten the ripening if the fruit is at a stage where they can ripen.
If starch in the fruit has not reached a stage where some sugars are produced then it will not ripen I'm afraid.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

I would try it.... worst case scenario is you dispose of them at a later date.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Use apples instead of bananas. I've used apples to ripen green bananas.

There is a point at which peaches do ripen enough before they rot. I don't know if yours have reached that point so all you can do is try. I put some in a cooler with the lid vented so they didn't accumulate too much moisture inside the cooler. Keep it somewhere that it stays cool.

jeff84

I don't think they will ripen to a point you will find good enough to eat, but they might be good enough to ad to a ferment. either lacto or yeast, depending on what you want from them.

JONA
Greener Thumb

ButterflyLady29 wrote:Use apples instead of bananas. I've used apples to ripen green bananas.

There is a point at which peaches do ripen enough before they rot. I don't know if yours have reached that point so all you can do is try. I put some in a cooler with the lid vented so they didn't accumulate too much moisture inside the cooler. Keep it somewhere that it stays cool.

Afraid apples are Ethylene sensitive fruit BL.
Bananas are Ethylene producers.
So the bananas would have been ripening your apples ...not the other way round.

jeff84

JONA wrote:
ButterflyLady29 wrote:Use apples instead of bananas. I've used apples to ripen green bananas.

Afraid apples are Ethylene sensitive fruit BL.
Bananas are Ethylene producers.
So the bananas would have been ripening your apples ...not the other way round.
true/ it is the short storage life that is a dead giveaway to what fruit/veggie gives of ethylene gas in abundance. the reason it ripens other fruits, is because ethylene is, or at least mimics a horemone and it sets off a hormonal reaction which causes ripening in other fruits.

you could have a crate off green bananas, with one bunch of ripe. all the bunches closest to the ripe one will turn yellow first

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the info. I heard it was the other way around.

Albert_136

I attempted to dig into these bananas/and or/apples suggestions and am so far unsatisfied. wsu.edu, a typical example, says "...Apples and pears are examples of fruit that produce ethylene with ripening. ...'' Bananas, widely suggested on forums such as this seem to be much more complicated.

[The ancients apparently used mostly figs.]

ETA I get the feeling that whatever fruit is used it probably works better if it 'damaged', whatever that means.

ETA Our peach experiments show the fruit is developing color but no taste worthy of recommendation.

JONA
Greener Thumb

I think the big problem as far as I can dig out with bananas is that they vary in their sensitivity to Ethylene according to how ripe they are. Green bananas have a fairly high sensitivity but as they ripen this gradually becomes less. Where as apples maintain a high sensitivity throughout ripening.
Still sounds a minefield though.
As far as ' damaged ' fruit is concerned this is more understandable.
If a fruit is damaged, nature kicks in.
The damage may have caused the seeds/ pips to have suffered damage as well. The very act of damaging a fruit causes a chemical reaction in the fruit to hasten the fruits ripening so it will fall from the tree and thus save the trees energy for ' safe ' fruit. It also persuades the cells that are at the point between the stalk and the twig to close down so the fruit will fall. Check your windfalls...most will have prior damage of some sort.
In a lot of fruit ethylene is one of these agents.
That's why bird pecked fruit etc..is always the sweetest on the tree.

Albert_136

We tossed the last of our ripening peaches experiments yesterday because a black mold began to develop. Paper bags with bananas, apples and nothing all looked about the same. We got fair color change but the flesh did not ripen enough to be worth the effort. We thought, but abandoned the thought, about making salsa.

Return to “All Other Fruit”