imafan26
Mod

How do you prune a persimmon tree?

Someone gave me a seedling persimmon tree a couple of years ago. The first year, I wasn't sure it was going to make it since it lost all of its leaves and on a few grew back. This year there are more leaves but it is a lanky creature that is 6-7 feet tall, single stemmed with leaves on the top. There are no side branches.

I don't know if I cut the top off, and all of the leaves, if it will branch out or die.

Is there a time when I should prune it?

Persimmons are marginal here and they are usually grown in Wahiawa which is a couple of hundred feet higher and a little cooler.

applestar
Mod

I've been "attempting" to espalier a full size standard since it was a whip. I think it's really resilient -- it grows multiple new side shoots from multiple points when pruned - kind of like peppers, if that would give you an idea. So I think it would be OK for you to just lop the thing and try to style it to keep it short enough for harvesting. Yours is probably a Japanese cultivar -- aren't they usually dwarf or at least short trees?

Mine is Prok -- it has strong leader seeking habit -- it broke an old Haybale string I used to tie down a branch to the fence post. I just Today tied it back down, in fact. I can't tie it to the PVC fence toprail like I do with the apples and pears which is to keep the branches from sagging because the toprail groans and even flexes a bit when I tie the persimmon branch to it. The branches don't want to stay down, but want to grow upward unless I'm very stern with them.

imafan26
Mod

It is a fuyu persimmon. It is over 7 ft tall and I usually bend the top over another plant just to keep it from bobbing. It does not look like it would take wind well. I just saw a little side shoot come out so maybe I will cut the top off just above that.

Most of the trees are hachiya, it is more astringent but apparently a little easier to grow in Wahiawa. It is not a very big tree there. O.k. I'll lop it and hope for the best.

applestar
Mod

If you haven't lopped it yet, that's another thing you could do -- bend and tie the top down and it should grow more shoots for you to choose from.

imafan26
Mod

Oh, that's an even better Idea. Come to think of it, I had the top bent over and stuck in the Kwai Fah and that is when the shoot appeared.

Return to “All Other Fruit”