learningtogrow

Fruit in Wisconsin

What types of fruit could I grow in Wisconsin, I believe I am in Zone 5, but some where I read I am in a Zone 4, not really sure I guess? I live quite close to Lake Michigan in the country, northeast Wisconsin.

I would love to grow:

Raspberries
Strawberries
Blueberries
Lemons (if possible)
Apples
I really don't think I could do oranges (I think that's for people in FL, isn't it :?: )
Watermelon
Cantelope

NEWisc

Everything on your list would do fine, except for the oranges and lemons. In addition, cherries, grapes, pears and plums will work. The number of varieties are a little more limited than further south, but there are still a lot of good varieties to choose from.

One of the most limiting factors is late frosts that occur at, or just after flowering. But if you are willing to put up with not having fruit in some years, even things like apricots and peaches are possible.

learningtogrow

So, we are in Zone 4 then, right?

How long does it take for raspberries, blueberries and grapes to grow?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Grapes can take a few years to start producing, you have to prune the vines back each year to the third bud.

Raspberries will give you a small crop the first year and go crazy after that. Each fall prune backthe woody cane from that year and bring up the new cane for next years crop.

Blueberries do best if you have at least two varieties and will give you fruit the seond year.

I think apples were on your list as well. They give you fruit from the first year. Try some of the heirloom varieties. There are over 500 different varieties of apple out there so, the world is your oyster.

learningtogrow

opabinia51 wrote:Grapes can take a few years to start producing, you have to prune the vines back each year to the third bud.

Raspberries will give you a small crop the first year and go crazy after that. Each fall prune backthe woody cane from that year and bring up the new cane for next years crop.

Blueberries do best if you have at least two varieties and will give you fruit the seond year.

I think apples were on your list as well. They give you fruit from the first year. Try some of the heirloom varieties. There are over 500 different varieties of apple out there so, the world is your oyster.
We do have an apple tree in the yard right next to us - it's our churches other house, but I am not sure what variety it is?

We just have such a big backyard and so much room - I have to garden and I know as a first time gardener that you shouldn't go so big with what you grow, but I want to do so much, I know I need to keep it small though, because it can be overwhelming to do so much at once, especially being my first time ever with any type of gardening :)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You know, I say dive in. That's what I did all those years ago. And I read every book I could find on gardening and was lead to organic gardening. I reaserached things on the net and was led here. See if there are any gardening clubs in your area, check out any horticultural centers. Talk to local farmers.

Check out the herbariums at any Universities that are nearby. Just go for it, gardening is a lovely past time and is so therapeutic. So, have fun and be sure to let us know how you are doing!

learningtogrow

Will do, I have so many opportunities living out in rural Wisconsin, that I didn't even knew I had until now! Hopefully, pretty soon, I will be posting my forward progress. Hopefully no more snow! We are getting a lot of rain right now, but hopefully not too much :!:

NEWisc

Here's a link to help you determine the zone for your area:
https://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=WI

As opabinia51 said, jump in and enjoy yourself. Gardening is fun and gardeners are good people.

One more resource that can be very helpful is your county UW Extension office. They can provide a lot of information on selecting varieties that have done well in your area. They should also be able to help you determine the characteristics of your soil with a soil test.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I have a friend here in Victoria that is from Wisconsin. Married a local girl.

Return to “All Other Fruit”