Leezer

When to plant blueberry bushes, zone 6a

I want to plant some blueberry bushes in the backyard and have read that the best time to plant is early spring or fall. However, I would like to buy the bushes now since there is still a decent selection at my local garden center. I guess I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea to plant them in the summertime? Or does it make sense to keep them in the pots and plant in the fall instead?

applestar
Mod

I would not recommend buying them now. You may think they are "decent selection" but it is likely that they have been out of the ground for a long time at this point, and already stressed.

Most shrubs and trees are best planted while dormant, then they can concentrate on setting down roots and getting established. It takes extra effort on your part and on the part of the plants to keep up with their watering needs, etc. while upper growths are happening.

Is this an independent garden center? Ask if they will have blueberry plants in stock or will get them for you at appropriate time for planting. Also check around -- if you are in MA, there might be local growers who will sell the locally grown cultivars. Here in my neck of NJ, there is a grower that sells blueberry plants on Craigslist every spring, and another that sells plants by appointment.

Leezer

Thank you applestar, I appreciate the advice! I'll hold off until fall. Early spring would be tough due to my work schedule at that time of year. And that's a great idea about the local growers, I will check into that for sure.

Return to “All Other Fruit”