jasonvanorder

Any chance they will come back?

This spring I planted 2 peach and 2 cherry trees. They were about 2-3 feet tall when planted. They started to grow as the weather warmed and got a full set of leaves. The problem is my wife got too close to 1 peach and 1 cherry with the weed whipper and cut into both of them all the way around. Since then the leaves all died off and dropped. I keep watering them just not as much as the other two. Is there a chance they will come back next spring or should I look into getting replacements for them?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Many trees can be killed by "girding" them, meaning cutting through the bark and slightly into the actual trunk. Some trees only need about 1/2" of depth to accomplish this, depending on the overall thickness of the trunk. I'd assume these trees are relatively small as far as trunk diameter and she may have done enough damage to them to kill them off, and by the tone of your post, it doesn't sound too good. Even if she didn't get into the actual trunk, exposing the trunk by debarking allows disease and pests to enter, and they can kill the tree.

Give them a bit more time to see if they recover, and if not, then replace them when it is time to do so.

jasonvanorder

gumbo2176 wrote:Many trees can be killed by "girding" them, meaning cutting through the bark and slightly into the actual trunk. Some trees only need about 1/2" of depth to accomplish this, depending on the overall thickness of the trunk. I'd assume these trees are relatively small as far as trunk diameter and she may have done enough damage to them to kill them off, and by the tone of your post, it doesn't sound too good. Even if she didn't get into the actual trunk, exposing the trunk by debarking allows disease and pests to enter, and they can kill the tree.

Give them a bit more time to see if they recover, and if not, then replace them when it is time to do so.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. They are pretty small. Trunks are only about the size of a finger and they were for sure cut into the trunk on the two. Ill give them a few more weeks and see what happens and worse case I will replace them this fall or early spring.

Thanks for your response

imafan26
Mod

If you get new trees, make sure you use a trunk guard or put in a tree circle so the weed whacker doesn't get that close.

jasonvanorder

imafan26 wrote:If you get new trees, make sure you use a trunk guard or put in a tree circle so the weed whacker doesn't get that close.

So far Ive solved that problem by not letting my wife run it. She does great with helping in the yard and the garden but every now and then something gets put on the death list when she is around it.

But she puts up with me so Ill keep her around

xtron
Cool Member

try cutting a 5 gallon bucket into about 3 rings. these make good, cheap, disposable planting rings. I have one around each of my 4 new blueberry and 4 new grape vines. they keep the weed wacker, lawn mower and stray hoes at bay. and I mulch inside the ring for weed control.
if the tree gets too big for the ring to clear by lifting over the top, just cut it and toss it, you aren't out much/anything

imafan26
Mod

I think it is a good idea to keep the wife away from the weapons of mass destruction.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I can't tell you how many times my husband has done this after I've specifically taken him over to the baby tree or bush and said, "Don't kill this one!"

Every now and then I've been surprised by the plants miraculously springing back. He cut one of my serviceberry trees to the ground and it eventually put out new leaves... until he got it a second time and it didn't make it.

I'd keep watering it until fall which would be a better time to plant than right now anyway. If there's no sign of life by fall then I'd think it's safe to say it's a goner and you can replant.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Our local Lowes had mats to lay around trees. The mats are made of rubber and have a slit to the middle and the tiny hole in the middle can be easily enlarged with a box cutter or pair of large scissors. They are 24 or so inches diameter and keep the weeds from growing while allowing water through. A great investment IMO but hubby hates them so I'm stuck pulling weeds to keep him away from the trees.

Return to “All Other Fruit”