diygardener
Newly Registered

Poor health on peach and apple trees?

When we purchased our house the previous owner already had a peach tree in the back yard, so we decided to plant a few apple varieties and a pear tree. The peach tree bloomed very well and fruit started to grow. In the past few weeks I noticed this peach tree started to develop perforations in the leaves and then it started shedding leaves. Now the fruit took a toll and is getting attached by something. I thought it was caterpillars at first but it appears to be the ants? We tried an organic insect control on the tree as well as the new ones in hopes to protect them. (Organocide from lowes) Either we were too late or it didn't help much. I realize this load is ruined for this year, but how can we prevent this from happening next year?

On a side note, our apple trees developed a browning of the leaves and don't look entirely healthy. This is about 2-3 weeks after planting in the ground, is this just shock because of the planting in a new environment? We water as directed and don't let them dry out.
Attachments
Apple tree leaves browning over
Peach tree leaves perforated
Peach tree leaves perforated
Most of the tree's peaches are ruined like this, brown spots and fluid weeping out
Most of the tree's peaches are ruined like this, brown spots and fluid weeping out
Peach tree losing it's leaves.
Peach tree losing it's leaves.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi,
There are several peach boring insects that can damage you fruit...but as you suspect ., the control of them has to be done much earlier in the year. Once they are in the fruit there is nothing you can do.
Next year start protective sprays straight after petal fall when the fruit is no bigger than a cherry.
On the apple...the lesions you can see are from Scab.
Again protective sprays need to be applied as this can spread onto the actual fruit, ruining its Whole appearance.
All the sprays available protect the tree from infection...they will not kill spores that have already germinated.

Return to “All Other Fruit”