Husk24

Is this scab on my apple tree?

Hi All

My royal gala apple tree has fruited tor the first time, only a few apples this time but the leaves don't look healthy, is this scab?

Is there anything I can do to stop this spreading further?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

JONA
Greener Thumb

Yes Husk it is Scab.
Gala is notorious for its liking of the disease I'm afraid.
Your going to need to get some protective sprays on that fruit as it will rapidly infect the apples themselves as they grow and can ruin your crop.
I hate winter washes....but this may be the exception to the rule...and it may well pay you to give your tree one this winter.
They can help kill a lot of overwintering spores. Take up all leaves and burn in the fall and start preventative sprays the minute the buds start to open next year.
Sorry about the urgency....but once Scab gets a real hold on Gala , it's the very devil to remove.

As to sprays to use now....I don't know if things like Neem oil will be able to control Scab well enough at this stage. I feel that you may have to fall back on to something like Captan to get the protection you require.
But this must be to your own personal choice.

Husk24

Thanks JONA for your reply, shame about the scab!

Can I remove the dead scabby leaves now? will that control/prevent from infecting the apples?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Just depends how many are infected Husk.
If it's a few ok...but the main task is to get something down on the rest of the tree to stop further spread.
Spraying for Scab is one of those tasks that can't start early enough. Mainly because there is nothing that will kill it once it's germinated. It's all about laying down a protective coat.
Normally spraying can cease by the end of July as by then Scab infection periods ( Mills Periods) slow down.

Return to “All Other Fruit”