MissMissy
Newly Registered

Fig Tree Broken Trunk

Hi -- Thanks for being there and reading this. I have a fig tree that's about 3/4" in diameter. I went out to the orchard to find that something had pushed it over and the trunk was broken. It was starting to dry out. I cut it back until the inside was green and put it in water. I'm not sure what to do now. I would like to rescue this tree. Any ideas?

Missy.

applestar
Mod

Wait, you put the top part of the tree in water? What about the bottom part? It should grow new shoots from what's left. It's a good idea to clean up the break by cutting so there are no jagged/ragged edges in the cut.

Fig cuttings root easily but what I do is put the cutting (branches up to 1/2" in diameter is what I've tried rooting) in plastic bag big enough to hold the entire cutting. I either wrap the bottom of the cutting in moist paper towels OR fill the bottom of the bag with moistened coir/peat and perlite mix.

imafan26
Mod

Ditto. In more humid places, I just stick the cuttings in potting soil after the latex has had a chance to dry. It roots in a couple of months.

Return to “All Other Fruit”