jeff84

hall's hardy almond

any body have any experience with halls hardy almond? I planted one a few years ago, and it looks like I will finally be harvesting some nuts off of this tree. from what I have been reading around the interwebs, some say they are good to eat and others say they are purely ornamental. what say you?

ronbart

I planted 2 of them about 20 years ago. When they finally got big enough to produce nuts, the squirrels wouldn't even eat them. The nuts resemble a peach pit and have about the same flavor. I eventually cut them down. They did have pretty blossoms though.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Gee, the squirrels steal mine. The nuts are pretty bland and a bit yucky, not at all like an almond. It really is an edible apricot pit but the fruit isn't all that great either. But the tree is pretty and the flowers are beautiful.

One year mine produced a huge amount of fruit. It was so much that a huge branch split off the tree. It was heartbreaking to get up that morning and see the branch laying across my van. I cut the branch and thought the tree was a goner but didn't have the heart to cut it down. It lives and the gash is slowly healing over.

Return to “All Other Fruit”