surfzone
Newly Registered

Squirrels and plumbs

is there a way to keep squirrels from eating all my green plumbs? every spring they seem to eat them all and I'll end up with one maybe two plumbs by the end of the season.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Try sprinkling pepper around your tree is a wide arc such that the animals can't jump across the peppered area, also you can buy these sprinklers that will shoot a jet of water at animals though, I'm not sure if they would work for squirrels.

If they area a non native squirrel, then you can use more drastic methods that I won't get into.

surfzone
Newly Registered

The squirrels are a native species and I am a hunter who likes squirrel however the season is closed:cry: . what kind of pepper regular black pepper?

Shaggy

I have exactly the same problem with Squirrel eating my peaches... In 3 years I haven't got to eat a single one... What really gets me, is that the squirrel doesn't even seem to like them... He takes one bite and lines them up on the fence for me to see when I get home...

This year besides the "Squirrel Trap" my 8 yr old dug beside the tree, I will be putting some kind of netting over the tree...
I WILL get a peach

Cuke

I found a site with some ways to keeping squirrels off trees,looks like you might need to put some nails into the tree though,but depends on where you get or how you make it.Here's the link and the picture is Figure 5 (a) and and Figure 5 (b)
https://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/tree_squirrels.htm
You need to scroll down a little more than half way to see the pics,but feel free to read the rest of the website.Hope that helps!

Return to “All Other Fruit”