ssg978
Newly Registered

Pineapples in Florida

Blooming Pineapple Plant.JPG
Hi all and happy Mother's Day.

We live in South Florida and have tried to grow pineapples frequently, with little success except for some nice plants. However, about ten years ago, one of the plants just kept growing. It developed long, sharp, leaves and many of them. It was always a topic of discussion when friends came over.

Suddenly, this past March, we noted that what looked like a "node" for lack of a better term, appeared on a strong and solid stem that had developed. Within a few weeks, we had a baby pineapple. We decided that if it was meant to be, then we would leave the plant where it is and let nature run its course.

Thankfully, it has continued to grow. But now the question is, will it continue to grow to eventually look like a "normal"-sized fruit or will it just be a "junior" member of the club and we should take it now. After examining the pics, I hope someone will have some advice.

Thanks very much,
Steve
Attachments
Pineapple 3.JPG
Pineapple 2.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Pineapples mature about 18-24 months from planting. Your pineapple looks pretty good, but it doesn't look like it will be a giant. Probably a small to medium one, but still good.

Pineapples like a lot water in their cups and they like a lot of potassium. My uncle told me to give mine sul-po-mag also in the cups. Mine are smaller than yours.

ssg978
Newly Registered

Thank you, Iamafan26. I appreciate you taking the time to read the post and provide me with some advice. Funny though, how we too had heard that it takes about 18-24 months for the plant to mature and fruit. Why this one decided it would wait almost 10 years was a surprised to us all!
I believe I have a SU-PO-MAG fertilizer for our regular garden that I can add to our pineapple plantings.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Steve

Return to “All Other Fruit”