AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Peach tree curl treatment!

Hello gardeners! And happy spring to all!

I never really got around to spraying my peach tree with copper spray this spring, and now it has leaf curl. Would the spray still work at this time of year? It has already bloomed and I see little baby peaches. I have removed all the infected leaves, but some still have little forming bubbles on them. Can I save my tree? And what should I do with my plum tree growing next to it? Would it get infected too?
Thanks! :)

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I heard that applying large amounts of nitrogen rich fertilizer would help? Would you agree? Maybe fertilizer for shrubs and bushes?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Annalkona,
Afraid that the Copper Sulphate / Bordeaux Mixture sprays against leaf curl don't work once the problem is visible. They are a protectant rather than a cure.
You've done the main treatment in removing all the badly curled leaves and the tree will grow out as the season progresses with any luck.
Next year get those protective sprays on early .....bud burst start time.
The plum should be fine.
Although they can get leaf curl it's usually due to another branch of the same pathogen....or insect damage.
The main disease is Taphrina but on peach it's T. deformans on plums T. communis ( Plum Pocket.)

A dose of nitrogen may well give your tree a helping hand in getting new leaf in place. Also thinning your fruit will help if you have a heavy crop. It all eases stress to the tree.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you! Yes, I will definitely use it next year... I've learned my lesson (haha). Will applying Fungus Spray help?

JONA
Greener Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:Thank you! Yes, I will definitely use it next year... I've learned my lesson (haha). Will applying Fungus Spray help?
It won't do any harm....so give it a go.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I have applied fungus spray and fertilized it. Hoping it would help. Do you know if the disease affects the fruit? Could I still eat them?

JONA
Greener Thumb

The fruit is fine to eat.

Return to “All Other Fruit”