Smallgardener

Plum bush with weird growth

I need help identifying this it's on my Sandhill plum bush.
Attachments
IMG_1282.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi Smallgardener,

My knee jerk was some type of leaf curl. Is this the only place on the tree? I've seen some of the petioles of my own plum leaves do something similar, can't tell if that is one large grown from petiole, or a ruffle from the leaf. I'm losing one of the oriental purple plums that my grandmother planted. I'm pruning back heavily this year. Any sign of disease gets a snip and a sanitize.

The fruit tree keepers can answer this much more fully, though!

In the meantime, hope that helps a little!

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Smallgardener,
It looks like it could be a mild attack of Plum Pocket to me.
Taphrina Communis or Tap: Pruni.
It's caused by a fungal disease that gets into the fruit just after the blossom time. The fruit grows distorted and huge, and can deform leaves and small twigs too.
Treatment is by good sanitation.....removing all mummified fruit at the end of the season etc.
Sprays of copper EARLY in the season for control if you have a serious infection. Once you can see the effects on the tree in the spring....it's too late to get at it.

Smallgardener

Some of these growths are not brown and dry like I have seen them in the fall. Very few fruit have set on this year. Probably from this infestation, and a near blizzard in the first week of may. Oh and an ice storm broke about 1/4 of the bush out in January. I will clean off all the alien pods I can find on it. Do you think I will help if I spray fungicide this summer or fall?

JONA
Greener Thumb

A spray in the fall and one in the spring at bud burst will help a lot.

Return to “All Other Fruit”