andrewly
Newly Registered

Can anybody identify this type of mango?

I moved into a house last August in Tampa, FL that has a mango tree. I don't know what cultivar of mango it is, so I'm not sure how to decide when to pick them, etc. Here is a picture of a few of them that fell off in some heavy wind this week. I put a pen there for scale. There are some on the tree that I think are a little larger, and have somewhat larger pink/red area. I also put a picture that I took in August of the last two mangoes from the tree, which were straight up yellow - not green or red. The ones from August were actually about the same size as the larger ones are today, if that means anything. I don't think the previous owner took very good care of it though, so it may have been malnourished and dehydrated last year.

Anybody have an educated guesses based on their current color and size for May?
20170506_152853.jpg

andrewly
Newly Registered

I could only get one picture in. Here are last year's:
DSCN1226 small.jpg

andrewly
Newly Registered

And here's a picture of one still on the tree. It's a pretty big tree and fruit started developing in different areas at different times over the last few months (I think based on amount of sun exposure).
20170507_120931.jpg

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

The first picture looks just like the Kent Mangoes that I buy at the health food store. But I can't say for sure.

imafan26
Mod

Kent is possible.
This is a mango cultivar chart. See if you can recognize your mango. In Hawaii there is a Mango event offered at the Moana hotel every year. It is mostly for growers but anyone can go for a day fee. One of the days is a mango tasting.
One of the people I know is a tropical fruit grower and he grows a lot of mangoes. He said the winner of the tasting is not always the best tasting mango, just the one that is perfectly ripe and tastes the best that day. We actually have a lot of good mangoes.
https://www.fruitlovers.com/MangoPosterHawaii.jpg

Return to “All Other Fruit”