miranda868
Newly Registered

Chilly Spell - Fruit Worries

Hi,

I'm pretty new to gardening because I just bought my first home last September. I've planted tons of things, but it's getting down to 39 tonight and I'm worried about my strawberries. They are in a strawberry planter on my deck. I also have four new blueberry bushes planted in the ground. For 39 degrees, should I cover them? Or bring them in? I'm afraid bringing them from 49 degrees into my 65 degree house would shock them. What should I do? :?

My house also came with a peach tree, and it's budding! I see quarter sized peaches on it. Will this cold weather stop it from producing? I noticed one branch coming off of the trunk of the peach tree is dead with no new growth. Can I saw off the dead branch or would that mess up the tree's process? I'm -very- new to this haha :oops:

Thanks in advance!

applestar
Mod

You don't need you cover or bring in any of them, although you WILL need to put up bird netting and/or birdscares when the berries start to blush.

Take a photo and post. I would say wait a little longer until the Peach leafs out fully to decide if the branch is dead, although if it sounds dry and hollow when struck, them it's a good bet that it is dead. I have to guard my peaches against squirrels and chipmunks.

Return to “All Other Fruit”