lomonkey
Newly Registered

Peach tree advice - yellow leaves

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a harvester peach tree that I bought back at the end of February (from FastGrowingTrees). I kept the tree in a potted container through March due to the wild weather swings we were having here in South Carolina. One week we were as high as 70s and the next we would get down to freezing! I finally felt comfortable planting the tree in my backyard in the first week of April. At this time it was looking very good with lots of green leaves and fruit already growing (terrible time to transplant I believe...).

My yard soil is clay and probably fairly compacted and slow draining. I dug a hole about 3 times wider than the root ball and 2 times as deep. I mixed 1 bag of Black Kow Manure, 1 bag (1.5 cu ft) of Miracle Gro Garden Soil for trees and shrubs, and the rest local clay soil from the yard. I put some mulch around the bottom of the tree but not up to the trunk. I watered the tree heavily at the time of planting (about 2 gallons). I have not watered it again since the soil was still moist when I checked it yesterday (the mulch is really keeping the moisture in).

Here's where I need some help. This week I noticed that several of the leaves around the branches have turned yellow/orange and several have fallen off. I noticed that the entire leaves are turning yellow, including the veins. I've also noticed some bugs have already made their way onto the tree and there is some insect damage (chewing) on the leaves. I sprayed it yesterday with Bonide Citrus Nut & Orchard Spray for fungus and insects.

I need some help to figure out why the leaves are turning yellow and what I need to do about it. Is this transplant shock, overwatering, underwatering, or something else...I have attached some pictures. Any other general advice about taking care of my peach tree would be appreciated.

Thank you!
20170416_151938.jpg
20170416_151950.jpg
20170416_152000.jpg
20170416_152125.jpg
20170416_152254.jpg

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Iomomkey
Personally I don't think this is anything more than transplant shock. The odd leaf falling is not uncommon so no major worry on that. As to the yellowing....the tree has got to acclimatise itself to the change of situation. Just make sure you maintain regular watering, but be careful not to waterlog the soil...especially on clay based soils.
A spray of something like urea or liquid seaweed would give the leaves a boost too.

Return to “All Other Fruit”