Linny
Cool Member

Elephant ear sprouting in package!

Help! I bought an elephant ear bulb several weeks ago. Today I decided to plant it, and it has sprouted in the mesh bag it came in. There is a sprout about one inch long and 3/4 inch in diameter at the top, with seven other little "nubs" coming from the bulb. The bulb is also very mushy on about 1/2 of the bottom. Have I waited too long? If not, when I plant, should I leave any of the large sprout above ground? Thanks for any help. I feel like a terrible plant mother! :oops:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If it has started to go mushy I would surmize that it has some sort of bacterial infection. Try just cutting this area away from the part of the bulb that is still uninfected. Then plant the bulb in the soil. You can keep the growth that has already sprouted.

Spread some kelp meal around the area above the bulb to help feed it.

Good luck!

Linny
Cool Member

Thank you so much. I will cut the mushy part off and plant. Thanks for the kelp meal tip. I read your reply to my transplanting tomatoes question also. I did not know that I should pinch the suckers from between the stems and main branch. Thanks again! :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hey not a problem! That's why we're here. :) Be sure to add any of your knowledge to the fori as well. By the way, a local gardener and past owner of our old organic nursery (crying, closed down.) taught me that trick. You should see her tomatoe patch!!!! Suckering is very important as well, you will get way more tomatoes if you sucker. Carolines plants are always loaded with tomatoes.

Return to “All Other Fruit”