Sarahr317
Newly Registered

Strawberry help

Hi!

Any tips on strawberries? Best brand/variety? Bed or container? I plan on getting plants and not seeds. I'm in central KY. When should I plant?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are in zone 6 so strawberries are planted any time from early March to mid April, I.e. NOW ! Hardly anyone plants strawberries from seed.

Bed or container depends on how many strawberry plants you are talking about. People growing a few strawberry plants often grow them in special containers called strawberry jars:

I think that is mostly an ornamental thing and they could be grown in any container that has enough room. Strawberries do need some space around them, like about a foot in all directions. So you can see if you are growing more than a few of them, you will need a bed for them.

I can't really recommend what type, but the first thing you need to think about is June bearing or ever bearing. June bearing tend to bear their fruits all at once (probably in June! :D ). Everbearing keep producing through the season, but only one or two or a few at a time. So if you have only a few plants and they are everbearing you will never have enough strawberries at one time to have like a bowl of strawberries. But if you have a lot of strawberry plants, maybe you want some everbearing for production over a longer period of time.

Return to “All Other Fruit”