banyandreams

how to grow figs?

I am residing on the southeastern coast of China, which belong to Zone 10. I want to grow some figs this spring. Can anyone share some experience about fig growing? e.g. What type of soil do they require, what special care needs to be taken care of? etc...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I live on the West Coast of Canada and my friends have a fig tree in their yard and have an abundance of figs each year. They have espaliered the tree against their house

However we are in zone 7b.

There are also some fig trees growing in a local community garden that produce well.

Figs need to be picked as soon as they are ripe because they spoil very soon after. You can grow both the brown and green figs. The only way to tell if a green fig is ripe is to squeeze it.

I reccomend using a dwarf tree because fig tree can get quite large. Use goo organic soil ammendments when you plant your tree like compost, tree leaves, manure and so on. And use these to fertilize your tree each fall as well.

Layer the ammendment around the tree but, don't let them touch the bark of the tree. Start with a layer of leaves then manure or another "green" like grass clippings, used coffee grinds, blood meel, seaweed, etc.

Hope this helps a little.

PS

Figs can be very heavy producers once they are established.

banyandreams

do figs need bees to spread pollen?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Are you referring to Ficus carica, the common fig? If so, I believe they require a tiny wasp for pollination.

banyandreams

Yes. How do I know if there are such wasps in our area or not?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

banyandreams,

My understanding of the situation is that the wasp is only required if viable seed is required/expected. The tree will still produce Figs without the wasp but reproduction must be done asexually through cuttings.

[url]https://www.floridata.com/ref/F/ficus_c.cfm[/url]

I was given a cutting last summer but obviously have not yet seen any fruit. They are not fully hardy in my area and I am told they must be sheltered in some fashion over the winter. Mine is still in a pot so I'm good for now.

Norm

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Figs are native to Africa I believe,, and they grow perfectly well here in North America. My friends tree is loaded with figs every year. A lot of pollinators are not site or plant specific so, if you have bees, wasps, and other beneficial insects, they will pollinate you plant. Don't use insecticides on it. You can spray it with an aerated compost tea and that will keep any diseases at bay. If you have an herbivory problem with insects, try a weekly dose of neem oil or neem soap ( a soap made from Neem Oil.).

Go easy on the neem oil though because it can have detrimental effects on bee populations.

Also, if you have Mason Bees where you live, place some bee boxes around to attract them to you yard. They are excellant pollinators.

banyandreams

thanks!

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Banyandreams, Gnome's answer is correct. Most of the cultivated figs will produce fruit without a pollinator. [url]https://www.uga.edu/fruit/fig.html[/url]

Jess
Greener Thumb

To get more fruit from your fig plant in such a way that you restrict root growth. Here we tend to plant against a sunny wall in a patio/paved area, improving the soil in the area around the root but no further.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, there is an old saying in organic gardening that goes like this: Feed the soil, Not the plants. So, if you have healthy soil, the plants will be healthy.

So, before planting your fig tree(s) find the area that will be suitable for them and check to see if you have a clay or a sand based soil. If it is sand, you are in luck because it will be easier to ammend. But, regardless, add tree leaves and other material with a high C:N ratio (we have a list of ratios somewhere in the organic forum, you can use the search engine to find it. It would save you from having to search the net.)

Then, add some sort of green (with a lower C:N ratio) like manure, coffee grounds, blood meal, grass clippings and so on. Vary your greens and your brown to get as many nutrients into the ground as possible.

Let this compost for at least a few moths but preferably a year. You can also do the same thing in holes and trenches in the area.

Anyway, when you get your tree(s) dig a hole that is twice as deep as the root ball and add some Kelp meal to the hole before adding he tree. Water it well before filling in the tree and water the tree again after filling in the hole.

Don't forget to water you tree in the spring and summer or it will die. Especially in the first year.

Each year apply a sheet compost like described above to your tree. Keep it away (a couple of inches, about 5 to 10 cm) from the trunk.

And to detur diseases from the foliage spray the tree with an aerated compost tea. If you have an insect problem that you can't solve with soap and water try Neem oil or a Neem soap but, don't use more than once a week.

There is a sticky on Neem Oil in the What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere thread so give that a read as well.

Enjoy your figs! They are so rich and velvety. I love eating them!

banyandreams

Thank you all for your advice. I am just waiting for the cuttings to arrive to plant them. A friend of mine grew about 200 figs two years ago, he would cut some branches for me to grow. So I suppose I will have to wait some time before I can eat the figs?

Return to “All Other Fruit”