lemayz
Newly Registered

Tall order - fruit tree that is evergreen & grows fast

I'm hoping for some help picking out a tree to plant. I realize that everything I'm asking for is a tall order, but I figure I can always scale back the "nice to haves" if need be. I'm trying to find something that has the following characteristics:
-does well in Zone 8
-produces edible fruit (or nuts could also work)
-is an evergreen (I need the tree to provide privacy year-round between us and a neighbor)
-doesn't have a root system that spreads too wide (we have a french drain about 6 feet away)
-grows fairly fast (we'd like to have privacy from our neighbors, and we need the tree to grow to about 15 feet, the sooner the better)

I've taken a look at Arbutus unedo, loquat, feijoa, but seems like all of those grow slowly and/or have invasive roots.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :-)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There are some citrus, like tangerines and mandarin oranges, that can be grown in zone 8. They are evergreen and about the size you want. I don't know about other characteristics (fast growing, invasive roots,etc)

Lemon trees are generally rated for zone 9. There are some varieties that are hardier that you could probably grow, especially if the location is south facing and/or you can give it some winter protection.

imafan26
Mod

Most trees cannot be planted close to a fence unless they have an upright columnar habit. like Italian cypress. which will grow to be 100ft some day.

Most edible fruit and nut trees have a spreading canopy. If you don't like your neighbors much now, they will like you even less when your tree starts shedding leaves and fruits in their yard. Even evergreen trees do shed some leaves and all fruit trees will drop fruit. You will need to plant your tree so that you can maintain the canopy within your yard so at least 10 ft from a fence or anything else. Farther if the canopy spreads more than that ( the canopy spread will determine how much space it needs from the property line and structures).

Fast and non-invasive don't go together well. If you want a non- invasive tree that fils in fast but does not become invasive quickly you need to look at bigger trees which will cost more for the instant efffect. Otherwise you are looking at 10 years for a tree to grow in.

You can grow bay laurel ( a spice) not a nut in zone 8b. It has a columnar habit and grows slowly to 30 ft. It can be pruned to a hedge form if it gets too tall. It will take a while to grow and it is not cheap to get a large one which would be 8-10 years old.

You could get a dwarf apple that would grow 10-20 ft tall and wide, but it would require pruning and it is not evergreen

Meyer lemons, tangelos and tangerines are possible in 8B with some frost protection, but these trees will shed some leaves especially when they are stressed, grow to 30 ft tall and wide in the ground. Citrus trees don't grow very fast but the roots are not all that non-invasive, over time they have been known to clog up plumbing here. they can be grown in large planters which reduces the size but you will need to make sure the planters are tipped regularly or keep the planters on wheels. to make sure none of the roots have escaped into the ground. Citrus needs a little pruning but does not like severe pruning. They are heavy feeders and you will need to manage pests (aphids, scale) and there are a few diseases you need to watch out for.

Pears are possible, but like apples they need pruning and to get fruit you need to have compatible varieties for polination.

Vines would be good they cover fast but will need a support structure and you still need to plant them so you can maintain them. They will not be low maintenance as they require pruning and are seasonal. Grapes and passion flower. Vines will give you quick cover but are generally very invasive.

Columnar narrow shrubs are probably best but you still need to prune them and even a narrow shrub will need 5 feet of space. They may not be evergreen in your zone.
Mock orange, Fine Line (rhamnus angula "Ron Williams"), Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus, crepe myrtle (Little Chief), arborvitae.

Return to “All Other Fruit”