Cacamileas
Newly Registered

Where is a good place to buy honest, non gmo fruit trees.

I'd like to find out about a nursery in Santa cruz, monterey areas that have non gmo fruit trees. Internet searches are not fun.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

While I have not seen the contract that is connected to buying? leasing? Guava or the soon to be offered apple. But, if prior proprietary contracts around grains remain the same. Neither you nor I will ever see GMO trees on offer. So you can rest easy in that regard.

Please do not mix up Hybrid plants with GMO plants they are not the same.
Last edited by tomc on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

while I agree with tom that the fruit trees you'll run into are not gmo's, if you really want to feel sure about it, find a nursery that will tell you what rootstocks they use, and then do some research. pick fruit varieties and rootstocks that have been in use for a few decades or more, and you'll be fine. no one is making (or going to) already established varieties transgenic and not telling anyone.

imafan26
Mod

GMO seed and stock are not usually sold to anyone without their knowledge and agreement. Even the GMO papaya seeds are usually sold to farms with the farmers knowing full well what they are buying. If the public wants to buy GMO seeds they have to take a class and sign an agreement not to propagate the plants. Most of the people are totally unaware of what GMO is and many people who said they don't eat GMO plants are unaware that they have been eating them for years.

GMO plants look and reproduce like their non-gmo counterparts and because of that, they can cross with non-gmo plants and have the gmo genes show up in future generations. Such crosses are hard to control unless you plant only certified seeds and rougue out any plants that the birds dropped.

If you really are concerned, you can look up the variety of the fruit and find out if it is a gmo one or not. Most of the gmo fruit trees are being marketed to farmers and they know what they are buying. As a general rule no plants or gmo seeds are sold to the public. People tell me they don't want to buy the seeds off the racks because they are gmo. They don't know the difference between a hybrid and a varietal name. No seeds on the seed racks sold to the public are gmo. Most fruit trees sold to the public are not either.

BTW there is a test available now to test papaya for the gmo gene for those who really want to know. However, if their tree is next to a tree with ringspot virus and theirs is not sick, it is a good guess that their tree has the gene.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Of all the fruit trees I have purchased, I have never heard of a GMO fruit tree. As stated above, there are none on the market. Fruit trees are grafted using root stock and scion from the cultivar desired. this is a mechanical process not a genetic modification. In ancient times a seed may have produced a clone of the desired tree, but not any more. Most fruits are the product of hybridization and crossing and will not come true to variety.

The goodness or badness of GMO plants is for another, very protracted and divisive discussion, but as for purchasing fruit trees, buy away and stop fretting about getting a GMO product.

If you want an area tree seller, search for a reputable nursery near you. I buy mine on line from https://www.starkbros.com with never a complaint or problem.

imafan26
Mod

Papaya was one of the first successful gmo fruit trees. 90% of the papaya locally marketed is GMO and about 10% is not. The varieties have to be separated and labeled by variety, but you have to know which variety is GMO since it is not required that the variety be labeled as GMO or not.

There is an apple that has been engineered to prevent browning. I think it is called Arctic.

Return to “All Other Fruit”