kcalbat
Newly Registered

Potted peach tree and clueless owner

I got a peach tree from a family member a few years ago. She told me it was about 3 years old and ready to plant.

We had just moved and I intended to plant it but when doing research on the wheres and hows I got so overwhelmed after discovering that my whole yard(an acre) is clay!

So it kind of got left in its pot. I though it died but it grew again. So I'm not sure if there is anything I can do with it.

I am going to do some more research but its alot to take in. In meantime, any advice for this particular plant? Thank you

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Is your ground frozen and how wet is the clay? If the ground hasn't frozen yet and the clay isn't too wet you can go ahead and find a spot and plant the tree. How big is the pot the tree is in? If you can't plant it in the ground it would be much happier if it has enough room for the roots to grow a bit more. If you have to keep it in the pot you can "plant" the pot in a hole in the yard somewhere or keep it in an unheated building until spring.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Kcalbat,
First thing to say is don't get too uptight about having clay.
Prepared properly it is one of the best soils in some ways. It doesn't leach nutrients like many soils and it retains water on drought periods far better than a lot of other soils....so it's not all bad.
It does need good amounts of mulch and grit to get it into a good medium though.
So, by all means plant your peach. First though get the planting area well prepared with either compost or well rotted farm yard manure ( fym) to get the clay into a finer consistency.
We planted 50 Acres of very productive orchards on rank clay and they did us very well over 50 years!

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I'm in Ohio. If there wasn't clay we would have no soil at all.

Mulch annually.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

When I first turned over my soil for my garden in my present location I thought it may be better to open a pottery shop since it was very heavy with clay. I amended the soil with mulch, compost, sand, and as much other organic matter I could find and have been doing so since the mid 90's. My garden soil has been in great condition for years now, but it did take a bit of work.

Like others have said, plant the tree, and follow their advice about adding some good soil, compost, etc. to the hole. I planted 2 fruit trees in my yard and they did great until they were killed by Hurricane Katrina back in 05, and since then I expanded my garden, so no room for trees. I only wish I had a few acres. LOL

Return to “All Other Fruit”