Seananers

Do cherry blossom tree's actually make cherries

I know it may sound like a stupid question to sum but, do cherry blossom tree's actually produce edible cherries? I have always wandered about it but now that I am a member on a gardening forum so I thought "Hey why not post it!" :D

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Seananers,
Like a lot of other fruit species there are actual edible fruiting veriaties and ornamental ones.
In cherries there are the sweet and sour cherry varieties ...which you can eat....and the ornamentals that produce at best only very small fruits.
On the whole the ornamentals are in two main species, : wild cherry which has down turned sepals and white petals, and the so called Japanese cherry which have erect or spreading sepals and petals that range from white to deep pink.
There are many species of these with countless hybrids. Most of the Japanese vars are grafted onto wild cherry stocks to maintain consistency of bought plants.

Seananers

Thanks for the answer. I didn't really know that their are different types of cherries. It is understandable why I would ask that question though.

Return to “All Other Fruit”