donkeyguy3
Newly Registered

Help with plum sapling do I prune or something else IDK!!!!!

here is a photo. I grew it from seed and I transplanted it into this pot. Now what do I do. There is no heat in the room, but one light bulb on top of it. You can see there is a little string (I.e. a piece of floss that I use to hold it up, but without the floss, it tilts and cannot really stand erect, do I cut the leaves or something please advise me thanks.
Attachments
IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0093.jpg (32.73 KiB) Viewed 1088 times

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi donkey guy,

Re your plum tree.
First it will pay you to put a cane into the pot to tie your tree to as it grows. This will keep it straight.
The tree needs to go into a dormant period, so at some point you will have to move it outdoors. If you have severe weather then protect it with a covour of fleece especially round the tub as root damage can happen if the roots freeze solid.
In the spring, once it has broken into growth tip the tree back four or so buds, this will do two things. It will strengthen the trunk and it will force the tree to start to produce some side shoots.....these will eventually become the trees lower branches. Do not cut the leading shoot back too much or the new branches will be too low.

donkeyguy3
Newly Registered

What does dormant mean? Are you saying that I should put it outside now? if not now, when? I live in southern ontario it is 1 C or 33F now.

JONA
Greener Thumb

All Top and Stone fruits need a dormant period which involves a 'chill' period.
The temp you are getting is fine for this. So if the room is not heated your plant should get cold enough. You will know if the plant de-leafs and goes into winter dormancy.
Dormant means the plant looses all its leaf and goes into a rest period. This is essential on all deciduous trees ( these are trees that loose their leaves in the winter )so they can rest and build the buds up for the coming growing season.

Return to “All Other Fruit”