Slimfoli
Newly Registered

Fruit Tree Identification

Hi There! Hoping to have assistance identifying this fruit bearing tree/bush. It appears to have been planted ornamentally, and a small apple variety. The fruit doesn't cluster like a crab apple, it seems to grow straight off the branch without a stem. Location is in Maine.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Slimfoli
Newly Registered

Here's one more angle of the fruit.
Attachments
image.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hmm... the tree/shrub doesnt quite look like an apple tree.... I wonder if this is quince? -- the color of the fruit looks correct, but I thought they had a bit more lobed blossom end....

Slimfoli
Newly Registered

Thank you for replying. I thought quince a possibility as well, but I believe I read that plant was thorny, which this tree is not. I cut one open and it has an apple aroma. If I get a chance I'll try to cut a cross section of the fruit to show the seeds.

applestar
Mod

I think you might be thinking of hawthorn...?

Apple aroma sounds right for quince.... but it's a plant I've been wanting and not having seen one first hand. Hopefully another member with personal experience will chime in. :wink:

JONA
Greener Thumb

I think the thorn plant your thinking of is Chaenomelis which has fruits very similar.
I think your fruit is more than likely a quince.
If the core is similar to an apples then it confirms it.
The fruit makes very good jelly and jams as it is very high in pectin.
No major problems in growing..but it can get a fungal infection that is similar to Apple Scab that can spoil the appearance of the fruit. The fruit is much firmer than Apple and many of the fruits cells are called stone cells and they give the fruit it's grainy texture.

Slimfoli
Newly Registered

Thanks both for the info, I think you're right! While I wasn't finding any visual matches searching just 'quince' I did find an identical match of the fruit under 'Japanese Quince' on a website (photo below). So now I know! Thanks again!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 1427 times

JONA
Greener Thumb

The Japanese Quince is the Chaenomelis Slimfoli.
It is normally grown for its flowers and also as a protectant hedging plant as it is very thorny. There are new hybrids that are thornless though, so it may be necessary to check the flowers next spring time. The fruit can be used for jelly...but it is very tart.
As your tree has no thorns then the odds are that it's more than likely it's a true tree quince.

Return to “All Other Fruit”