Hjennings26
Newly Registered

Help! I accidentally grew papaya plants!

I threw some seeds out and accidentally started Papaya plants, but I don't know anything about them ! I live in the US, and it has started getting cold at night. I don't really have any sunny windows either.

What can I do with these so that they don't die due to the cold weather?
Attachments
IMG_6593.JPG

applestar
Mod

Re: Help! I accidentally grew papaya plants!

If you want to save them, you will have to dig them up, transplant them in pots and create a growing area in the house including supplemental lights.

But I suspect this is a standard size variety and will eventually get too big. It will be a practice plant and an interesting houseplant in the mean while, but probably not expect to grow fruits. They do have interesting foliage.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

imafan26
Mod

Re: Help! I accidentally grew papaya plants!

papaya has a tap root so if you dig it up you need to be careful not to break it. Putting papaya in a pot will stunt it. If you do it right you will have a short stature plant that does make papaya. It however does require polination and you won't know what sex your plant is until it flowers at about 5 mos of age.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

Return to “FRUIT FORUM”