cass2828

Pomegranate tree ...blossoms

Hi guys.. I have a pomegranate tree in a large container which is about two feet high and its already blooming.... Is it too early?? Or too much potassium or Phosphorus... :?:

cass2828

-helpsos- :hide: any answers plzzz

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

There's not very many people on here who grow pomegranates. I tried but the seeds didn't sprout.

The dwarf varieties do flower and fruit when small. It's healthy and happy since it is blooming. Keep doing what you are doing to it.

Dirt Man

I planted a pomegranate tree in the yard when I lived in AZ. It had 3 pomegranates the first year and the plant grew 5 feet tall. The second year it grew about 12 feet tall and had about 30 pomegranates. They typically grow into a 20 foot tall tree that will make 500 pomegranates. The neighbor up the street had one that made so many pomegranates they told everyone to come pick all you want. By the 4th year you should be getting 400 to 500 pomegranates but probably not if you keep it is a pot.

Be careful not to pick fruit until ripe. The best way to tell it is ripe the round body will change to a 5 sided shape. Look at it from the bottom end without pulling it from the tree. If it looks round it is not ripe. It will look ripe for 2 months before it is really ripe. In a time period of 1 week it will change from round to 5 sided.

Once you see it is ripe pick it. Cut a 1/8" groove around the center then pull it apart so you have 2 halves. Hold each 1/2 cut side down in a bowl then hammed the sides with a wooden spoon or small board all the fruit inside will fall into the bowl. It takes about 45 seconds to knock the fruit out of each half.

cass2828

oh.. thnx.. dirt man

Tbeng
Newly Registered

I have a pomegranate tree 25 years old and never bears fruit. Nice flowers though. About 10 ft high. Gets sun about half the day. Any chance I can get it to grow fruit?

imafan26
Mod

If you have a dwarf pomegranate and it is about 2 years old it may be o.k. Pomegranates will only fruit if they are pollinated. I get both fruit and flowers. My pomegranate was almost dead when we bought this house. It had been neglected for a long time. I trimmed it regularly to keep it shorts so it was more like a bush than a tree. We rented the house for a couple of years and the tennants mowed the grass but turned the sprinkler off. In the end, the pomegranate which would have been about 25 years old at the time was just to weak to make a comeback. I am thinking of getting another dwarf again though, but right now, I am just trying to keep everything alive.

applestar
Mod

Do you see insect activity among the flowers? -- bees, wasps, flies? Have you ever tried hand-pollinating? (Are there flowering branches closer to the ground?) You might have better access if you can train/pull the branch-tips down by hanging weights or tying them down?

cass2828

the plant is very small and I did try hand pollinating

applestar
Mod

I only skimmed it, but this looked interesting.

Pomegranate Flowers and Flowering - CREC Home Page
https://www.crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/ ... r_2014.pdf

imafan26
Mod

Interesting article. I never really worried about it, I have a lot of bees. Pomegranates are not for everyone. I rolled the ripe fruit against the table and got a straw and stuck in through the skin in various points and sucked out the juice. It was the easiest way to eat it.

Return to “All Other Fruit”