Nathan Reed

Passion fruit plants that grew together in container

Hello again, I have these two passion fruit plants that grew together in a container. They really need to be transplanted, but they've grown close together and their roots are of course intertwined. I'm wondering if they will be okay like this, or if their being so close together will be a problem?

I had some fig trees in the same situation and I found a way to get them apart but it takes a LOT of work (I filled my bathtub with warm water and put them in, and gently worked them apart- I had to do this twice and it takes about an hour, then I have to clean the tub :x but they're doing okay)

I got these poles and concrete wire (plus some pipe straps) just like this one guy in a youtube video, to build a trellis (it looks perfect in the video!) and I'm going to build it in the next few days. What do you think? Can I just put them in the ground like this, or are they too close to ever flourish? I'll try to separate them if you guys think I should, and just hope for the best. :?
Attachments
(9-3) passion fruit grown together.png
(9-3) poles and concrete wire for passion fruit.png

imafan26
Mod

Around here those things grow wild. They do need a strong trellis and keep them away from trees, they will climb them. You can cut one of the branches but I think they will still survive if they are planted together. It would have been easier to separate them when they were smaller.

Nathan Reed

Oh yes, I didn't intend to leave them in the container so long. Some things came up and a number of gardening responsibilities got postponed :(

I'll just put them in the ground the way they are then and hope they do okay. I should be able to finish this tomorrow.

Check out this guy's trellis, I'm doing it just like this- it looks great! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxPlNYK5OPU

imafan26
Mod

Here are some tips on how to take care of your plants.
https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/sustainag/e ... 0Fruit.pdf

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Instead of filling the bathtub and washing all that dirt down the drain, fill a kiddie pool or large tub and dump the water and soil in your garden area.

Return to “All Other Fruit”