travis2090
Newly Registered

Help With Some Blueberries and Grapes

Hello,

New to the forum. I have been given some blueberry and grape plants. they are two years old. Can anyone tell me if they look like they should and if not what I need to help them out. I attached some pictures. there are two planted blueberries and one potted grape plant. I am an amateur at gardening so any help would would be great.

https://goo.gl/photos/2FKdpd82mxyYwxic9

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I can't see your pictures so I can't help you there. Are you planning to leave them in pots for very long? How big are the pots? What varieties do you have?

Some blueberries are good for container growing, some aren't. But I don't know of any grapes that will do well in pots for several years.

travis2090
Newly Registered

OK I fixed the link not sure what happened to them the first time. I don't plan on leaving them I transplanted the blueberries into there permanent home, and the grapes I am going to be transplanting shortly. The grapes I believe are Concords the blueberries I am not sure. The person who gave them to me said he got them at Tractor Supply. I am just not sure if there's anything I can do to help them or if there dying, they don't have many leaves on the blueberries. Hopefully you can see the pictures now.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Some generalities about woody plants in pots. If there is too much water in soil, due to soil with too small particle size, makes for spindly weak plants. (that frankly are on the verge of drowning). Transplanting them to field will greatly help that out.

Water every other day till first frost (skip rainy days).

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

They look ok, not great but at least alive. You'll need to protect them from rabbits and deer. Set up a little fence around them so they don't get eaten. Mulch them to keep the weeds away and to keep moisture in the soil. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the stems, you're trying to protect the root zone. I would not fertilize until after the first frost, and then with a low nitrogen fertilizer. It's okay that they don't grow new leaves or branches this fall. The new growth won't have time to harden before frost and if they make any new growth it will be killed during the winter. Be prepared for them to rest and not grow much for the next couple years. They need good root systems before they make a lot of top growth or produce a crop.

travis2090
Newly Registered

ButterflyLady29 wrote:They look ok, not great but at least alive. You'll need to protect them from rabbits and deer. Set up a little fence around them so they don't get eaten. Mulch them to keep the weeds away and to keep moisture in the soil. Keep the mulch a few inches away from the stems, you're trying to protect the root zone. I would not fertilize until after the first frost, and then with a low nitrogen fertilizer. It's okay that they don't grow new leaves or branches this fall. The new growth won't have time to harden before frost and if they make any new growth it will be killed during the winter. Be prepared for them to rest and not grow much for the next couple years. They need good root systems before they make a lot of top growth or produce a crop.
Thank you for the info I will do that this week end.the soil there in is mostly organic compost is that ok?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Yes. They should do fine in that.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Travis if your woody plants are going to spend a very long time in pots. Read up in the "Bonsai Learning" forum here. I understand you are not training bonsai. But leaning over the shoulder of somebody who is keeping woody plants in pots, couldn't hurt.

Return to “All Other Fruit”