babycakes
Newly Registered

Orange & Lemon trees

Hi Everyone,

I've never really been very green fingered but this year I want to try :roll: My boyfriend has bought me a little orange tree and a lemon tree. Do I have to do anything special with these? Or just water them!

I got them yesterday and watered them yesterday. Do I need to water them daily? Do they need any special plant food?

The orange tree has little oranges on already. The lemon tree has a few yellow lemons and some green ones. When do I remove the fruit? And do they need pruning?

I have them stood on my conservatory windowsill. Is this ok? They will be warm there and in direct sunlight. Is this ok for them?

I bought a couple of gardening books but they didn't give much away about orange and lemon trees!

Any advice or tips would be very gratefully recieved :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Don't water them daily, depending on what your temperatures are like you may need to water them more than once a week. but, generally give them a deep soak by leaving a soaker hose or regular hose on for about an hour once a week.

If you over water you plants (ie. everyday) your will contribute to fungal problems and possibly drown your trees.

Grey is the real expert on citrus around here but, hopefully some other members can help as well.

Soteria
Newly Registered

My Myers Lemon Trees were blooming, then all the blossoms fell off and no fruit came! I have two of them in pots in the house and I did use a brush to pollinate the blossoms. I have had them since last spring. Perhaps they are too young for fruit?

I repotted them into bigger pots and put them in my greenhouse thinking the sun and warmer temps would help them, but the leaves are falling off now. They turn yellow then brown then fall off. The poor things look pathetic. I don't know what else to do to save them!!

Return to “All Other Fruit”