Mustang Kimmy
Newly Registered

Is my Santa Rosa plum dead?

I planted a young Santa Rosa plum (dwarf) several years ago. Each year it has produced a small amount of fruit, 20 or less, starting in March; however, this year the tree didn't even leaf. I thought I might have killed it but the shoots that grow from the bottom of the tree (suckers?) kept coming so I figured the growing season was just off kilter and it would start producing behind schedule. Now, however, the shoots are all gone and the bark is splitting on the trunk of the tree and still no leaves. Any ideas?

JONA
Greener Thumb

HI MK,
There are a couple of things that can do this to a plum.
First is Honey Fungus infection via the roots of the tree,
This would show up as very fine cobwebby filaments around the root system of the tree. It spreads underground and there's no treatment.
The other is Bacterial Canker. This is from spores that are wind blown and again there is no treatment.
The Honey Fungus is a danger to other plants in the garden and you need to check to make sure it is not the cause.
Bacterial Canker attacks all stone fruits and infected trees should be burnt and replacements planted in a new place if possible.
On bad infection years growers can lose many trees and have to work the losses into their costings

Mustang Kimmy
Newly Registered

Thanks, John. Either way, sounds like I am in the market for a new tree. Am I right in assuming there is no way to prevent these 2 particular infections from happening to any new tree I plant?

JONA
Greener Thumb

Afraid these two infections are ones that we have no real defence against MK.
With Honey Fungus all you can do is plant as far away from the infection site as possible. Areas can be sterilised ...but it's really impracticle in a garden.
Bacterial Canker is a case of bad luck. You can have a tree go down and its neighbours show no effects at all.

Return to “All Other Fruit”