Ben93

Will this tree always need support

My mini apple tree is super bent since ive had it and wont straighten ive had to do this to it it looks a mess but I cant get it any straighter without damaging it.

Its growing like almost an s shape it goes one way then the other. Is there a way to sort it to get it to stand without being tied as its bad enough without it bearing fruit.
Attachments
DSC_0116.JPG
DSC_0119.JPG
DSC_0120.JPG

imafan26
Mod

If it is growing that way, I am guessing it is in the shade for part of the day and it is growing in the direction of the most light. I would move the tree into full sun and face the bent side toward the sun. I would have put the stake a little closer and to where the tree was bending and tied it lower. I don't know if it is flexible enough to do that now. Once the wood hardens it will more or less keep the bend.

JONA
Greener Thumb

Don't worry too much about that bend Ben.
In fact some growers actually deliberately put a bend in the main trunk like that to slow the growth rate of tree down .
As long as the leader is tied and trained steadily upward it will be fine.

Ben93

Its the best I could get it without snapping the trunj its straight as possible and the leader is tied up. Will it thicken up and stay upright itself as if I didnt have this stake the whole tree bends over like the shape of a C.

JONA
Greener Thumb

It will thicken up and stay in position after a while.
In the winter to encourage it to thicken, tip the leader back a third. Cutting it to a bud that is facing away from the bend.

applestar
Mod

I'm not familiar with growing apples in containers, but it seems to me that as spread out as the branches are, this tree should be in a pot that is twice as wide as it is now?

JONA
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I'm not familiar with growing apples in containers, but it seems to me that as spread out as the branches are, this tree should be in a pot that is twice as wide as it is now?
Agree there Star.
It needs a much, much bigger container.

Ben93

Its only just been repotted thats double the size of the old pot and goes down a long way

Return to “All Other Fruit”