Werewoof

Fig disease? Rust? Mosaic?

It's me again!

My lingonberry bush has not yet died, amazingly. Which is completely irrelevant, but just so you know.

Anyway, my Chicago Hardy fig tree, Agatha, was existing perfectly UNTIL THIS happened:

OH SUPERPOO.

Yellowing leaves, spots that kinda look like Frog Eye disease... not sure if figs can even GET Frog Eye disease... but does anyone know what the heck this is and if it's preventable, or even better at this time, treatable?

Thanks, HELP PLEASE, AND GRACIAS

-JON

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Werewolf.
The most common cause of yellow leaf on figs is stress.
And the most common cause of stress on figs is either over or under watering.
Check drainage of your plant and just keep the soil damp.
A spray of Urea will give the leaves a Nitrogen boost if you can do it.

Werewoof

JONA,

Cool beans! Thank you a ton, I was expecting something much worse, as I'm pretty sure I've got Frog Eye on my nearby apple tree. The fig is probably getting too much water, but it's a real trooper.

Thanks again!

-Jon

Werewoof

ALERT

OH MY DEAR GOODNESS.

I don't think this is merely stress at work here.

I think something is killing my fig tree slowly.

HELP, I'm pretty sure my fig tree is gonna die. Is this really just stress?? I'm kinda panicking. :shock:

Cheers,

-Jon

JONA
Greener Thumb

You don't show in your pictures the whole tree Jon.
Are all the leaves affected or just some at the lower part of the tree?.
If it's just a few of the lower leaves...remove them and give your tree a spray of Neem oil , this should take care of vectors on the plant.
There is little you can do other than keeping the plant clean of damaged leaf and waiting to see what develops.
I still think the die back on those leaves may just be dessication from the damage caused by water stress.
Fingers crossed.

applestar
Mod

Yes, do take a picture of the entire tree -- I think so far, you showed us the topmost new growth and the bottom most old leaves? Also, maybe describe how the tree is planted.

BTW... it seems like you have the tree tightly tied to a stake -- is that correct? My Chicago Hardy was winter killed to about 1-2 ft from the ground so most of the growth is new this year and they have grown rapidly and exponentially to over 5 feet. I've had to loosen support ties several times....

imafan26
Mod

It is nearly the end of summer. It is a little early, but figs do drop leavs in the fall. It might just be starting early. The main issues I have with my fig is rust, but I live in a humid tropical climate. Figs cannot stand wet feet so good drainage is a must. They will produce fruit even when they are small in pots. I don't feed mine very much. We give it leaf mold and slow release fertilizer.

Werewoof

Thank you all for the replies thus far,

Here's more pictures of the whole tree:

It is in fact still tied to it's humble little shipping stake, hehe. I could probably free it at this point, I think, if that would help. We've seen more rain than usual this year, but it's planted in sandy loam soil with good drainage, so I don't think it's wet feet, but I could be dead wrong. It's also planted nearish to a chain link fence, but I don't think that would cause any first-year or lifelong growth problems. I could dead wrong. :r

I will say, it's certainly been miserably humid this year, and that might well be a factor. I don't know if I still have any neem oil left, but I can sure as heck get some more!

Sorry for the late reply, these months are getting busy.

Also, it looks like my other potted Chicago Hardy (the one that I didn't think would graduate from being a tiny shipped-twig to a bush) has it now.

The fun never ends. :|

Cheers again for the advice thus far,

-Jon

Return to “All Other Fruit”