dougbthom

Fruit Tree Fertilizer

Is it common practice for those of us with apple trees to be using some type of fertilizer a few times a year to help with the overall health of our trees? It was suggested to me to use a fertilizer "spike" which are quite popular here. They are pounded into the ground at the drip line of each tree ( 2 per tree). Should they be used on young trees as well if it's suggested to use them at all? Thanks for any help you can offer.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I do use these tree spikes on all my fruit trees. They work quite well in my experience. (My cherry tree that I inherited from my land's previous owner never bear's good and a decent amount of cherries, unless I use these spikes.)

How old is your young tree? The youngest tree I've used these spikes on is 4 ft high.

dougbthom

The youngest trees are 1 year and I have some that are 4 years. Thanks for your reply.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

The four year ones are probably ready for the tree fertilizer spikes, while the one year old ones would probably benefit more from water-dissolving or granulated tree fertilizer.

JONA
Greener Thumb

In general apple and pear trees do not require too much fertiliser. A general fert application in the spring and similar in the fall is usually enough.
If you grow grass right up to the tree then potash should be plentiful.
Most general ferts contain all the trace elements a tree should need but an extra dose of folier feed at early pink bud can give the blossom a boost.
Avoid nitrogen feeds from blossom to mid July as this can cause the tree to produce a growth burst....which can make for a bigger than usual fruit drop.

MichaelC

JONA wrote:If you grow grass right up to the tree then potash should be plentiful.
Hi JONA, could you clarify that? Do you mean that the grass provides a boost in potash? Or are you saying that one should provide extra because the grass uses some up?

JONA
Greener Thumb

MichaelC wrote:
JONA wrote:If you grow grass right up to the tree then potash should be plentiful.
Hi JONA, could you clarify that? Do you mean that the grass provides a boost in potash? Or are you saying that one should provide extra because the grass uses some up?
Hi Michael
Grass needs potash just like all plants...but....for some reason when you allow the grass to grow right up to the tree in the orchard situation potash never seems to become a problem. Whereas growers who weed kill strips so that water loss is reduced find that potash has to be added annually.
Somehow the grass maintains the levels far better.

Return to “All Other Fruit”