applestar
Mod

Cracked immature pear fruits -- WHY?

I was so pleased to see many more fruitset on the Magness pear this year. It must be related to the the abundant speckle pear production now that it has finally kicked into gear and better pollinization of Magness by a parent cultivar.
Magness had been slow to get going but I had read that this is usually th[/img]e case,nut it tastes SO GOOD!

So you can imagine my disappointment to discover all these cracked fruits this morning. 5 is a lot when you were counting on a dozen.

What caused this? Is it the usual for any fruit cracking? -- Drought followed by excessive flooding? The fruits look otherwise clean, though the entire tree seems to be bit more susceptible to Cedar-apple rust splotches and there is that Giant Ichneumons wasp's visit and suspicious activity that may mean that the pear is stressed....

JONA
Greener Thumb

Hi Star,
This is classic up and down water problems.
For some reason pears seem to suffer the effects far worse than apples.
Many varieties.... Conference, for instance....., seem to shrug the problem off and if it happens early in the season they grow on and the cracks heal up leaving just a slight scarring on the surface.

applestar
Mod

Ooooh does that mean I shouldn't have removed them? The cracks seemed more than just a skin deep. But I was mostly going by how I view tomato cracks. Do you see any that might have been OK if I had left it alone? None of the Seckel's seemed to have been affected, btw.

Thanks, John..

JONA
Greener Thumb

Providing they are separate from their neighbours on the tree, I would leave them for a week or two Star..it's amazing how pears can heal sometimes.

Return to “All Other Fruit”